We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Arkansas

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
63 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Arkansas

My husband and I hope to travel Arkansas the 1st or 2nd week of November for a week. We like the outdoors -- hiking, walking around towns, civil war battle grounds and popping into museums (but not overnight camping or a lot of shopping).

We thought we would fly into Little Rock and spend a day or two and then go on the road.

Any ideas for a 6 day itinerary would be most welcome!

Thank you in advance.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Arkansas

Here are some places to look at. You might look at going from Little Rock to Hot Springs, then, maybe a stop at one of Arkansas's magnificent State Parks like Petit Jean, then to NW Arkansas Civil War sites, and end up at beautiful Eureka Springs.

Little Rock:

Historic Arkansas Museum www.historicarkansas.org

Old Statehouse Museum www.oldstatehouse.com

MacArthur Museum of Arkansas Military History www.arkmilitaryheritage.com

Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum (USS Razorback Submarine) www.aimm.museum

Clinton Presidential Center www.clintonpresidentialcenter.org

Big Dam Bridge (longest bridge built for pedestrians in world) www.bigdambridge.com

Hot Springs:

Fordyce Bath House Museum www.nps.gov/hosp/planyourvisit/fordyce.htm

Gangster Museum www.tgmoa.com

Garvan Woodland Gardens www.garvangardens.org

Arkansas River Valley:

Petit Jean State Park www.petitjeanstatepark.com

NW Arkansas:

Pea Ridge National Military Park http://www.nps.gov/peri

Prairie Grove State Park arkansasstateparks.com/prairiegrovebattlefie… Note this park is under construction. By November they will have moved the visitor center to temporary quarters so it will not have full impact.

Eureka Springs www.eurekasprings.org

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
63 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Arkansas

Thank you for your quick reply!

Any suggestions for places to stay? In Little Rock we will probably stay at the Capital Hotel.

Also we were thinking of stopping by to see the University of Arkansas (and pick-up some great Razorback gear). Is there anything in town we should see while we are there?

Thank you.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Arkansas

The Capital Hotel in Little Rock is an excellent choice. Ask to meet Billy Glasscock, the concierge. He has worked there for 25 years, through two amazing renovations, and will take care of any need you have.

Other places of lodging you might look at:

Hot Springs:

Lookout Point lookoutpointinn.com

Arkansas River Valley:

Tanyard Springs ( on Petit Jean Mountain) www.tanyardsprings.com

Mt Magazine State Park Cabins www.mountmagazinestatepark.com

Northwest Arkansas:

Johnson (near Fayetteville) Inn at the Mill www.innatthemill.com (highly recommend the specialty suites and its restaurant James at the Mill)

Eureka Springs

Treehouse cottages www.treehousecottages.com

Misc North Central AR

Longbow Resort www.longbowresorts.com

Regarding your question about Fayetteville/NW AR area. These are a few of my favorite places there:

Farmers Market on Saturday morning www.fayettevillefarmersmarket.org

Dickson Street Book Shop (classic vintage book shop)

Bentonville: The soon to be world famous Walton-funded Crystal Bridges Museum has not yet opened but it's worth a trip to the temp HQ in downtown Bentonville. crystalbridges.org

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
63 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Arkansas

Thank you so much! I will make sure to write to let you know how everything turns out.

Renee

Jonesboro, Arkansas
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Arkansas

Petit Jean State Park is a must!!!

http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/

It is so beautiful in the fall!! Hope this helps. It is close to the Little Rock area. Enjoy!!

Deborah

Jonesboro, Arkanasas

Jonesboro, Arkansas
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Arkansas

Petit Jean State Park is a must!!!

http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/

It is so beautiful in the fall!! Hope this helps. It is close to the Little Rock area. Enjoy!!

Deborah

Jonesboro, Arkanasas

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
63 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in Arkansas

I have been reading up on the park -- and it sounds great. We will probably take a day or so and do a little hiking.

I am now working on the route we should take if we go from Little Rock to Pea Ridge and back again. I was wondering if there is a circular route to take rather than going up and back down the same road. Or if we did use the same route -- maybe visit some towns on the way up and others on the way down.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in Arkansas

It is hard to understand how much time you plan to spend on the round trip from Little Rock/Pea Ridge Military Park/Little Rock. The fastest route 40/540/62 is actually very pretty, but there is some awesome scenery on other routes as well. If you can spend an extra night or two, this might be my favorite route for catching the true beauty of Arkansas. I would leave Little Rock on Highway 10 (which kind of turns into Hwy 9) and then drive up Petit Jean Mountain and stretch your legs and take a hike at the state park. Then you can get on 40 at Morrilton and speed on out 40 west and 540 north to 62 and the Pea Ridge park. If time permitted, I would hate to leave NW Arkansas without catching Eureka Springs, since you are so close. I'd wind on around 62 to Eureka, drive the scenic route through town, walk the historic downtown and have lunch in one of their nice restaurants. Then if there is any way timewise, my all time fav area of the State, the epicenter of its beauty, is the Buffalo River Valley which to me, centers in the Boxley/Ponca area. There is a gorgeous little State Park called Lost Valley tucked in there which is great for a short hike. So out of Eureka, to get to Boxley/Ponca, I think it is something like 23/27/42/21/43 . From there I couldn't resist going over to Jasper on 43/74 then take 7 down to 40 and back to LR. There are lots of alternate quicker routes through this area if time does not permit all this winding around. Others will have different favorite routes. It's all very pretty.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in Arkansas

I had a typo on my routing I think. The Eureka Springs to Boxley/Ponca route is I believe 23/27/412/21/43.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A week in Arkansas

You should, of course, see the Clinton Presidential Library while in Little Rock. If interested in historical sites, also see Central High School and the Old State House.

Hot Springs is about an hour away from Little Rock and was the first designated National Reserve (to preserve and protect the springs). Plan on a bath at one of the bath houses in the National Park.

Arkansas has 3 National Scenic Byways - the Great River Road, along the Mississippi River, Crowley's Ridge Parkway, also in the MS River Delta region, and Talimena Scenic Drive, in western AR, going from Mena, AR to Talihina, OK in the Ouachita Mountains - early November is a good time for fall color in southern AR. Queen Wilhelmina State Park sits atop Rich Mountain on the Talimena Drive and has some of the most magnificent views in the state.

In the Ozark National Forest, you can visit Blanchard Springs Caverns, a beautiful living cave - most of the famous caves elsewhere are no longer actively building cave structures. Blanchard is about a 3 hour drive north - a good day trip.

Look on the Arkansas Parks and Tourism website for additional information, or request an information packet from them.

I'm really not a tour guide - just love my state and want to promote the things that I like best.