We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking arkansas

7 posts
Save Topic
Hiking arkansas

I'm spending a week traveling through Arkansas and would like to hike some of the parks. Any suggestion?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking arkansas

You might start by looking at this website. The most dramatic landscape is in the Northwest section of the state so I’d click there and browse the brief descriptions of the trails.

www.hikearkansas.com

For in-depth information on the trails, do not miss Tim Ernst’s books.

www.timernst.com

The State Parks offer relatively short, easy and sometimes trafficky hikes, but there are some really beautiful sights. Several of Arkansas’s best State Parks are old CCC projects with amazing rock steps carved in the sides of mountains. Petit Jean is very beautiful. The rim trail at Mt Nebo is fun. Lost Valley is very pretty. Buffalo River hikes are generally more strenuous and less traveled. Hemmed in Hollow is legendary place to hike on the Buffalo. Remember the waterfalls do not flow in Arkansas unless there has been rainfall! Hawksbill Crag is considered by some the most photogenic landmark in the State.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking arkansas

jimjade3, I stumbled across your response. Thanks for the wonderful hiking ideas. I'll file them away for future reference.

Arkansas Ozarks
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking arkansas

At the moment Lost Valley is closed due to flood damage from the Buffalo River this spring. The Sylamore Trail in the National Forest near Mountain View is beautiful.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking arkansas

Petit Jean is one of my favorite woodland hikes. Partly because of the waterfall, Cedar Falls, at the end of the hike. It's somewhere around a 97 foot tall waterfall. www.petitjeanstatepark.com There are several hikes in this area.

The Rim Trail at Mt Nebo is another great hike. Great views, with several different trails criss-crossing to choose from. One is a small boulder climb, fairly easy to do. You can get a map of the trails at the visitor center. www.arkansasstateparks.com/mtnebo

There are some nice hikes at Mt. Magazine as well. www.mountmagazinestatepark.com There is also a very nice lodge to spend the night at there.

Another great hike is Hawksbill Crag, aka Whitaker Point. It's a level woodland hike with an awesome view at the end. There is also the Goat Trail. Haven't done Goat Trail yet, but I've heard it has great views. Directions and more hiking info in this area can be found at: harrisonarkansas.org/activites/hiking-trails…

I'll mention a different kind of hike that is actually a botanical garden, but it is very nice. It's Garvan Woodland Gardens in Hot Springs. www.garvangardens.org

Springfield...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking arkansas

You just have to hike Hawksbill Crag, it is just amazing, and I love the drive up old cave mountian road to get to the start of the hike, it is about 1.5 miles. ....

Another one close to Hawks bill crag, is pedestal rocks,http://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/pedestalrocks.html.

Another great one is a Hike up to Big Bluff/Goat Bluff Trail. It is really neat and there are some great old cabins (Granny Hendersons) and a waterfall Hemmed-in-Hallow that are close. There are a couple of ways to get to big bluff, but one is Center Point Trailhead on Hwy 43, about three miles north of Ponca. It is a 6 mile hike.

We hike a lot around Ponca / Boxley ... mostly in the spring (for waterfalls) and the Fall (for the beauty of fall)... but we are never disapointed.

johnn1e
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking arkansas

As mentioned above, Petit Jean is great. If you are passing through the center of the state, check out Trails of Central Arkansas for hiking ideas.

http://trailsofarkansas.blogspot.com/ has descriptions of trails across the state.

7. Re: Hiking arkansas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2013, 09:20