We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodge at Mount Magazine....

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Topic
Lodge at Mount Magazine....

We have made a one night reservation in early January for The Lodge at Mount Magazine. I am wondering if anyone has stayed there, it seems to get very good reviews and looks beautiful online. Any suggestions as to activities around the area? Won't have time to do hiking, but any quick scenic attractions nearby? Thanks for any help.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodge at Mount Magazine....

The photos are not deceptive. It is a great facility. We stayed in the cabins which are awesome but looked in the bedrooms and spent lots of time in the lodge and swimming pool, which are all real nice. The food did not match the facility but for one day it should be fine. As to other sights - aside from the nicest views in the State, and the hikes which you do not have time for, there is not much more up there. They do have an interpretive center which is pretty good. There are two other state parks in the vicinity, Petit Jean and Mt Nebo, which have similar views and nice rocky trails, and also the wineries in and near Altus are not far away. If there has been rain, the falls at Petit Jean are very nice.

Memphis
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodge at Mount Magazine....

It's a beautiful lodge with great views from your hotel balcony. I agree with the other poster--not much to do there in the winter--i understand Spring time is gorgeous. But the interpretive center is nice and not far from Mt. Magazine in Altus is Arkansas Wine Country. I believe the Post familie winery, Chateau Aux Arc and another German one are popular--they are on the Arkansas tourism website or you can google them. Also you are less than 10 miles from one of the most beautiful cathedrals and monasteries you will ever see this side of Europe--Subiaco Academy in Subiaco, AR (a boys' Catholic school run by lay people and monks) over 100 years old. Built entirely by monks--they even quarried the limestone. The Cathedral is beautiful and you can probably arrange for a tour and buy some famous "monk" hot sauce or peanut brittle

Edited: 20 December 2011, 02:28
Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodge at Mount Magazine....

Thank you both for your relies. I do hope to stop and see a few different vistas, and that cathedral you mention sounds great. Love architecture, so that would be perfect. Definitely will check out the interpretive center and the park. I'll let you know how it turns out. The lodge does look lovely. :)

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodge at Mount Magazine....

The lodge is very nice. The pool and gym were never busy when we were there. And we were there during the busy fall season. The lodge's fireplace area across from the lobby is just gorgeous. The breakfast was pretty good. If you've never tried chocolate gravy, they make a good one here. The dinner was not very impressive.

Mount Nebo is a very picturesque area as well. Definitely, what I'd consider an Arkansas must see.

If you go up towards Paris, and are interested, there is a scenic winery with great wines. www.cowiewinecellars.com You'd take a left on Hwy 22 for 3 miles to the winery. To get to Subiaco, you'd take the right onto Hwy 22. It is a very picturesque Abbey. The courthouse is a nice looking building as well.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodge at Mount Magazine....

Thanks so much, Flame! That will be very helpful. Nebo is a good possibility. Definitely going to check out the Abbey, and so might as well see the courthouse, too. I need more time! :)

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodge at Mount Magazine....

You will pass right by the courthouse on the main road. Can't miss it.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodge at Mount Magazine....

Here is a short trip report of our visit to Arkansas, and of the Lodge at Mount Magazine.

WOW, the lodge was beautiful and awesome. We were very pleased with our stay. Flame, the fireplace was gorgeous as you said and we enjoyed sitting by it for a bit. All of the various seating through out the lodge is very nice. Our room was a king with a spa tub and a balcony. I could look out at that view all day. I am sure it is spectacular in the Fall! We had breakfast in the hotel's Skycrest Restaurant and thought it wonderful, too. Jerri was our server and couldn't have been nicer.

The Visitor's Center at Mount Magazine State Park is very nice, providing nice displays on flora and fauna and history. The picnic areas/lookouts are all very nice and well kept. We were very impressed with the whole state park. We only were able to hike a bit near the lodge, but would love to come back some day!

Driving thru Paris was a treat. The courthouse and its holiday display was very captivating and we circled a couple times, pulling over for pictures. Would love to see the inside. Scenic Highway 309 was real eye candy, too.

Convention-we were only able to see Subiaco Academy from the outside. That in itself was beautiful, but someday would love the opportunity to see the inside, so I haven't crossed it off my to do list. Thanks for the suggestion. Since it was a holiday, we could not get in to tour it.

We stopped at various lookouts, pull overs and picnic areas all along Highway 7. We drove 7 from Hot Springs to Harrison. We visited the Friendship Trail at the Jessieville Visitor Information and Ranger Station, in Quachita National Forest. Very nice! We took a long look at the Arkansas Grand Canyon from the parking lot of the Cliff House Inn. We would have went in had it not been we were still stuffed from our wonderful breakfast at the Lodge at Mount Magazine's restaurant!

The Buffalo National River was beautiful-we stopped there for a brief visit and a walk thru the picnic area and to the river near the Pruitt Ranger Station, near Harrison. Crossing the old, green, iron bridge and seeing the views of the river were awesome. That green water! The limestone bluffs/rocks walls were interesting and we would love to canoe the river someday.

Hot Springs sure has grown, by leaps and bounds, since the last time we were there. We couldn't believe it. Not sure if that is a good thing or not! The bathhouses and the remodeling (is that even the right word?) is very nice. Always enjoy the scenic drive up the mountain, too.

Also enjoyed a couple stops in the Ozark/St. Francis National Forests.

Highway 7 is a very nice drive, and Winter is not the time to see it. Most tourist type attractions were closed, as well as shops and restaurants. Could have also been because of the holiday week. We like challenging, curvy mountain roads and this one proved to be just that.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and we hope to make it back to explore more fully in the future. :)

8. Re: Lodge at Mount Magazine....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:24