We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digging for Diamonds or Crystals?

Colorado
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Digging for Diamonds or Crystals?

In a couple weeks we will be bringing our grandchildren through Arkansas. At first I thought we would go to the Diamond Crater State Park to dig for diamonds, but recently someone told me this is a waste of time and the kids will get bored quickly. They suggested we dig for crystals instead. Can someone advise me which will be best for children ages 13-7? If for crystals, then where is the best place to go? Thank you.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Digging for Diamonds or Crystals?

Your friend gave you good advice. The kids will love crystal mining/digging. There are two locations I would suggest: Mt Ida and Jessieville. Take a look at the below websites and explore costs and distances and your routing. Wegner's mine is a fun place. It is an hour's drive from Hot Springs on a nice, scenic, mostly two lane highway which goes along Lake Ouachita. Your trip could include a stop at Lake Ouachita State Park. I have recommended this mine to families and they always have fun.

Just this week an associate recommended Jim Coleman's mine in Jessieville. It is closer to Hot Springs (16 miles). My friend is impressed at the way they keep the area "turned over" exposing crystals. Their competition is also a Coleman Mine - Ron Coleman Mine, which also has a good reputation though I have not been there.

Again, I would compare costs and any other info on their websites, call them if questions - they are all usually very nice on the phone - and take a look at your route and the mine locations. There are two constants no matter where you will dig: 1. Wear old clothes! The clay will badly stain your clothes as you are on the ground most of the time! 2. Plan for sun and hope for clouds! There is usually little shade in crystal mining and you can get "red" and hot in May very easily!

Have a great time. You will love the scenery and the experience and the kids will have fun....and unlike the diamond mine, you will leave with something!

Mt Ida area:

Wegner’s Mine

http://www.wegnercrystalmines.com/

Jessieville area:

Jim Coleman Mine

www.jimcolemancrystals.com/mininginfo.htm

Ron Coleman Mine

http://www.colemanquartz.com/

Colorado
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Digging for Diamonds or Crystals?

I can not thank you enough for the information you took time to write. We will definitely go for the crystals, as all kids like to have "something" to show for the effort they put forth. Also, now I know to pack some old clothes for this day in the dirt. This will be the last day of a 2 week driving tour with the g-kids....so want it to be a memorable last day.

3. Re: Digging for Diamonds or Crystals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Arkansas
Recent Conversations