We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking/camping

Jackson, ms
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Backpacking/camping

I'm a "off the beaten path" kind of fellow and would love some suggestions on some amazing /beautiful places to go tent camping for about 5 days. I prefer places that are challenging to get to.

Cheers

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking/camping

Here is one place I have never been and always have meant to. It takes 4-5 hours to hike into Hemmed-in Hollow in Buffalo River Country Arkansas. The family of Rose O'Neill, who later became world famous for among other things, inventing the Kewpie Doll, lived in Hemmed-in Hollow and had their supplies dropped off cliffs to them by local residents. It is still hard to get to and the reward, a huge beautiful waterfall, awaits the hiker. Further, if you take the trip in one day, you are supposed to hike in, in the dark, so you can arrive no later than 7 or 8 in the morning to see the waterfall bathed in light. It always fascinated me and I plan to make the trip eventually. For a real study of Arkansas trails, purchase, or order free through inter-library loan at your library two books by Tim Ernst, the Arkansas expert on hiking in the State. (see below) Tim won't usually reply to questions but Alf Carter at Azaelea Falls is a very friendly expert and trail guide and will usually always offer advice. (se below links)

www.buffaloriver.com/hemmed-hollow-trail/

Arkansas Hiking Trails - Tim Ernst

www.timernst.com/Products/AHT.html‎

Buffalo River Hiking Trails - Tim Ernst

www.timernst.com/Products/BRHT.html‎

www.azaleafalls.com

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking/camping

This comes from Alf Carter, professional trail guide and owner of beautiful Azalea Falls Lodge:

"Another option would be to hike the upper Buffalo Wilderness area to Bowers Hollow, Hawk Hollow (renamed by Tim Ernst) and Whitaker Creek below Hawksbill Craig. All of these are stunningly beautiful and wilder than anything in the Buffalo National River area. There are 15,000 acres of wilderness that you can spend half a lifetime exploring."

3. Re: Backpacking/camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 05:16