We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite OR Big Sur???

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite OR Big Sur???

Hi all, hope you can help....

Initial plan was San Francisco-drive coast route to LA-Fly to Vegas.

My girlfriend has decided that she dosent want to do LA any more and has suggested Yosemite. I am a keen climber/walker so that appeals to me. Can any one reccomend lodging in the park OR should we drive the coast road as it is supposed to be amazing!!

Views please.......

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,317 posts
6,137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite OR Big Sur???

What time of year are you coming? Tioga Pass which is the way to go from Yosemite to Las Vegas is open usually June - October only.

So if you are coming before then, you may want to opt for the drive along the coast.

If you are here June - October, however, I would definitely reocmmend Yosemite. It is an amazing place to see. The lodging in the park in terms of best to fine is:

1)Ahwahnee

2) The Lodge

3) Camp Curry (cabins with bath to tent cabin communal bath.).

Both places - the coast - and Yosemite are absolutely amazing but given your statement of being a "climber/walker" I'd definitely opt for Yosemite. You'd be amazed at the many places there that are amazing!

To go though does take reservations. Best to do so on Yosemite National park Website. http://www.nps.gov/yose/

If they are full up, there are places to stay around it. MacJack and Hotel Charlotte, regulars on this site, are the experts for the area and can recommend alternatives (or look at former posts.).

Have fun - either way you'll have an amazingly fun trip!

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
995 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Hotel Charlotte
Hotel Charlotte
835 Reviews
Groveland, CA
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite OR Big Sur???

Yes, the drive to Big Sur is pretty amazing, the Bixby Bridge is a great place where we like to pull over to photograph in the area. If you decide on lodging in Yosemite, mini has listed some nice places. You may want to also consider the Wawona Hotel which is an older property with lots of charm and in a nice location in Yosemite. I have some photos posted of the Wawona Hotel & the dining room our last visit to Yosemite on New Year's Day. Enjoy your travels! :)

Mentioned in this post
Bixby Bridge
Bixby Bridge
1,048 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Wawona
Wawona
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite OR Big Sur???

It's a toss-up. Both are amazing. Weather may be the most important factor. Tioga Pass in Yosemite stays closed into early summer. Flip a coin and see what you get. The good news is that you cannot make a mistake.

Mentioned in this post
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
995 Reviews
No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemite OR Big Sur???

I agree, either would be special. However since you are asking...I'd go to Yosemite. The CA coast is spectacular. But the coast is more often foggy & cool during the summer months. Yosemite really is a unique landscape. The valley and the high country are unlike anyplace I've seen and I love both the beach and the mountains. The coast has elements that I've seen on the coast of Wales, Ireland Austrailia, New Zealand, Canada, Oregon and Washington. I've not seen anywhere like Yosemite.

Depending on when you are traveling lodging inside the park may be sold out. PUt a post on the Yosemite forum or look at postings from others on the Yosemite forum. Should be able to give you some options for accomodations.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemite OR Big Sur???

If the girlfriend is more of a "mountains" person than a "beach" person and you want her to feel special...Yosemite. Skip the coast.

Relationship advice: make your SO feel special, or else somebody else will.

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Yosemite OR Big Sur???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 04:17