We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American River Rafting

san diego
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
American River Rafting

What company did you raft the American River - South Fork or Middle Fork?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American River Rafting

I've piloted rafts myself down the South Fork, renting equipment from a south SF Bay Area outfitter called the Boat People.

If you do a Yellow pages search of Folsom, CA and its neighborhood (eg Cameron Park), you'll find a number of companies that organize trips for visitors.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American River Rafting

Are you talking about white water rafting on the upper stretches of those two rivers (I assume you are, because you state South Fork or Middle Fork).

I ask, because for the unexperienced (this reads anyone not having gone through rafting guide school) DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT try to raft the white water. We had two deaths on the South Fork last year, both by private parties (not commercially guided). It is safe to go on commercial trips (well, nothing in life is 100% safe, including getting into your car - but commercial companies have specially trained their guides, have someone with water rescue experience, and go on the river as a team to assist each other).

That said, I like AWE - American Whitewater Expeditions. The guides and drivers are great, they take care of you, they feed you great food, the drivers try not to make you sick on the canyon roads :), and the operations managers are experienced, awesome Kiwis (don't call them Aussies!).

Are you thinking of Tunnel Chute on Middle Fork, or Hospital Bar or Troublemaker on South Fork??

Are you thinking spring/early summer, or later in the season?

If you're looking for floating, it's perfectly safe to privately raft on the lower American River near Sacramento.

Have a great time!

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American River Rafting

oh- and here is a link to the various commercial outfitters...

http://www.visit-eldorado.com/rafting.html

san diego
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American River Rafting

I am planning a three day river rafting trip for my husband and 15 yr. old son. They are going on the South/Middle American Fork River in mid-June. My husband has rafted before but my son has not. He is a fit, athletic teen and excellent swimmer. I am looking into rafting companies. I've narrowed it down to All-Outdoors or American Whitewater Expeditions. Has anyone rafted with either company and can you tell me your experience? thanks!

5. Re: American River Rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 07:21