We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kids in Calif in Aug

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
kids in Calif in Aug

Just found out I have 2 week vac in Aug, kids want Calif. Is it too late to book anything and where should we go other than Disney. Kids 16, 13 and 11. Would really appreciate recommendations for fun and beauty including some time by the water. Open to any part of the state. Thanks!

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kids in Calif in Aug

Yosemite is a great choice for kids. If you can't get Yosemite Valley Lodging, consider Evergreen Lodge outside the Highway 120 enterance. www.StayNearYosemite.com will give you links. They have excursions, lessons and are focused on outdoors and families without being too far from the park.

After that maybe some time in the Gold Country. The gold rush region of CA has oodles of history. There are caves to explore along the foothills and now with all the vineyards going in you will find the region has some wonderful landscapes and scenery.

Highway 4 takes you up to Calaveras Big Trees State Park, this is Cool and if you are across Yosemite on the Eastern Side, Bodie State Park, an authentic ghost town is a fantastic excursion. Be sure to get to Bodie in time for the Stamping Mill tours, about $3 per person, 11 am and 1 pm.

Have a great trip

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kids in Calif in Aug

You might want to work your way up the coast on US101 and CA SR 1, as it will be cooler and the kids will be plenty of water. There are endless hiking and swimming opportunities along that route.

Inland, it will get very hot very quickly.

Northern California
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kids in Calif in Aug

Hi - I would consider one week in So Cal doing Disney and San Diego attractions/beached. Then travel to Monterey/Carmel and San Francisco for one week.

santa clara
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: kids in Calif in Aug

I'd definately hit Yosemite. It's the best. If you keep calling you will get a spot.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kids in Calif in Aug

When you say "Other than Disney" does that mean in addition to doing Disney or you want to skip it all together. Northern California is beautiful with its Redwoods, Yosemite etc...but entirely different than Southern California with its beaches and amusment parks.

Doing both is doable, I guess, but an awful lot of traveling. In a perfect world, I would do one this summer and save the other side for next summer.

6. Re: kids in Calif in Aug

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 12:22