We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monterey alternative?

Devonport, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Monterey alternative?

I've posted this in CA forum because I am quite disappointed that altho we would like a night in Monterey on our way down from SF, it would seem that most of the nicer hotels (as per TA) are only willing to accomodate travellers for a 2 night minimum and some of those want $429 + per night!! Unfortunately, the cheaper hotels/motels don't have great reviews on TA. Should we be looking elsewhere i.e. San Luis Obispo?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monterey alternative?

Please tell me the date of your stay, and I'll see if I can help you find something suitable in Monterey--the area also includes Pacific Grove and Carmel, so you may be able to find something. Also, if you tell me the names of the cheaper places you've looked at, I may be able to advise you. If not, San Luis Obispo or Pismo Beach are both nice places to stop. In Pismo, try the Kon Tiki Motel--nice and on the beach.

Devonport, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monterey alternative?

We are staying Fri 21st Sept. Would prefer a good quality hotel but as a comparison checked out Beach Resort, Howard Johnson & Spindrift - I don't think these are for us tho. We are a family of 3 adults but can't afford two rooms and it seems that Monterey is aimed at "romantic breaks".

monterey
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monterey alternative?

Monterey Plaza Hotel in Monterey is the best! Right on the ocean with two great dinning spots. You can get a non-ocean view room for 225.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monterey alternative?

The problem is that that's the weekend of the Monterey Jazz Fesitval. It will be hard to get an affordable room in a good hotel. It sounds though you'll be better off bypassing Monterey this time. I'm sorry.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,747 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monterey alternative?

Since Monterey appears to be out of contention, I would recommend the coastal town of Cambria. The Cambria Pines Lodge is nestled in a lovely forested area with suites and cabins available. The lodge is close to town and Cambria's beaches. A nice alternative to Monterey.

If you want to venture as far south as Pismo Beach, the Cottage Inn or Pismo Beach Lighthouse Suites offer lovely rooms that would work for your 3 adult party.

Devonport, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monterey alternative?

PGdenizen - As we are all into music and play I can't think of anything better than to be at the Jazz Festival! Didn't realise it was on that weekend. However, we already have tickets for SF Blues Festival so guess we should be content. Shame we'll have to miss Monterey especially as we're coming from England.

Montereyman - I did check out Plaza Hotel direct - a 2 Queen non balcony room was $540 per night.

Kibblesmom - I'll check out Cambria, but we're now wondering whether to drive straight to Santa Barbara or use Amtrak as guess lot of traffic with Jazz Festival.

Thank you all.

Level Contributor
34,525 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monterey alternative?

Another vote for Cambria, lots of great places to dine, shop and Moonstone Beach is very scenic. Cambria is much more quiet than Monterey and a very nice place to explore on the Central Coast. :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monterey alternative?

Hollyfairy, I'm sorry, too. The hotels book up for the Jazz Festival so far in advance--it's very popular, as you can imagine. I hope you'll make it back here someday so that you an enjoy this area. Wherever you stop on the coast, though, will be absolutely beautiful. Enjoy!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,747 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monterey alternative?

Hollyfairy

The coast is so much prettier the further north you are. Once you pass through Pismo Beach, you won't see ocean again until you go through the Gaviota Pass some 70+ miles south. And that stretch of ocean is not particularly dramatic. It feels like it takes FOREVER to reach Santa Barbara past the pass.

I just think 1 night in a relaxing place is what a vacation is all about. Not hopping from one venue to another, like in Santa Barbara. But only you can decide what appeals the most to you.

Wherever you end up, have a great trip!

Whitsett, North...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monterey alternative?

Try the Day's Inn in downtown Monterey. They have rooms for 185 a night, which seems pretty high, but at least it is available. I had my family stay there for our wedding. While Day's Inns usually are a lower end motel, this place isn't bad. The rooms are big so it's easier for larger groups to stay together. It's also walking distance to downtown and the wharf. No pool, but a little hot tub. It's clean and the people that run the place are nice. It's not worth 185, more like 85, but it will get you into Monterey.

Cambria is really nice, but the rooms there are gonna cost you. There's a great restaurant there called the Black Cat.