We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Topic
Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

Leaving Big Sur early travelling to W. Hollywood (Accommodation booked) so I can get there late.

I will be backtracking to Venice and Santa Monica on day 5.

What shouldn't I miss between Big Sur and Solrama Besides Hurst Castle. Expect to be about Santa Maria. Looking for something unique to the area.

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
W Hollywood
W Hollywood
1,869 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
8,936 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
California
Pismo Beach, CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

Are you planning to stay overnight in Santa Maria? If it were me, I'd stop a little short of Santa Maria, in San Luis Obispo or the Avila Beach, Pismo Beach area. It depends on what you like, but Santa Maria doesn't offer much that's unique or special for visitors.

Avila Beach is a funky little beach town, pretty quiet, a couple of nice places to stay, a beautiful golf course, a great restaurant, bar, deli and wine shop.

Pismo Beach is a little more touristy and crowded, but very "beachy" and lots of fun. Lots of shops and restaurants.

San Luis Obispo has a great downtown area with plenty of shopping and restaurants. One of California's 21 missions is located in downtown San Luis Obispo, very beautifuly and a great historical site, near a creek and restaurants and shops. It also has a great Farmer's Market on Thursday evenings with music, entertainment, lots of food booths.

If you're looking for a unique place to stay, try the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. It's beautiful, VERY unique and the men's bathroom has been featured in the top 10 greatest bathrooms in the world on the Travel Channel. Here's the website URL:

http://www.madonnainn.com/

Here are some area restaurant recommendations:

…allinfoabout.com/Food/…pismobeach.html

…allinfoabout.com/Food/…morrobay.html

…allinfoabout.com/Food/…sanluis.html

The San Luis Obispo recommendations are a little sparse at this point. If you need San Luis Obispo restaurants, I can give you some recommendations of my own.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
California
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Avila Beach
Avila Beach
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Madonna Inn
Madonna Inn
1,742 Reviews
San Luis Obispo, CA
Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

Thanks Cali4ever,

I must have been a bit tired when I posted that. What I was trying to convey was I will be travelling from Big Sur to Hollywood in 1 Day and expect to be in Santa Maria about lunchtime. You have given me some good sugestions to work on thank you very much. Pismo Beach and the mission are looking good. I see a lot of beaches where I live but I am sure these will all be a bit different. Especially the sun setting over the water and not rising over it.

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,347 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
California
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
California
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

Morro Bay - has a harbor and that big rock; completely different vibe from Pismo Beach. You can kayak around the harbor, have some seafood right near the docks.

Cambria - just south of Hearst Castle. Lots and lots of shops. Some cute, some touristy, some expensive, some not.

I completely agree about SLO (great downtown and mission), and Pismo (huge sandy beach and pier, beachy feel, much bigger town than Morro Bay).

Re: Big Sur - don't miss Nepenthe (restaurant, snack bar, and really interesting shop). There are some other interesting galleries in that general vicinity too. There are also some small stops going south from there, with maybe a general store. It's nice to stop at those for a little bit to soak up the coast without having to drive around those curves.

South of Santa Maria, there is a Danish-flavored town called Solvang, a few miles off 101. Kind of touristy, depends on what you like.

I've heard the town of Ventura is a fun beach town, but haven't been there.

Mentioned in this post
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Cambria
Cambria
Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle
5,916 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Nepenthe
Nepenthe
2,894 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
California
Solvang
Solvang
California
Ventura
Ventura
California
Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

Santa Maria out SLO in.

South of Buelton my trip planner won't let me go between Las Cruces and Gaviota any reason is that pass closed.

South of Prismo do I take the 1 or 101?

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria
Santa Maria
California
California
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

South of Pismo, 1 is the local route, through agriculture fields and towns, and 101 is the major highway. I don't think 1 would be particularly scenic and would slow you down, but it's a personal choice.

I can't see why 101 between Las Cruces and Gaviota would be closed, it's still the major highway. They usually warn of wind gusts through that area, and I guess there could be a landslide that they haven't cleaned up yet so it would slow traffic down, but it would seem like a major problem if it were closed. I'd check with CA Highway Patrol, or local traffic reports close to the date.

Mentioned in this post
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

The 101 is open between Las Cruces and Gaviota.

The Sierra Mar Restaurant at the Post Ranch Inn is a romantic and pricey dining experience.

The tour of Pt Sur lighthouse is interesting (on Sat or Sun)

The hike out to the beach at Andrew Molera State Beach is nice.

McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park is worth a look. It is an easy hike.

Salmon Creek Falls is also a cool waterfall.

The elephant seal haulout at Piedras Blancas is fascinating.

The hike to San Simeon Pt on the beach below Hearst Castle is easy and relaxing.

The hot tubs at Sycamore Mineral Springs are fun.

http://www.waterfallswest.com/ca_mcway.html

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/

Mentioned in this post
Sierra Mar
Sierra Mar
683 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Post Ranch Inn
Post Ranch Inn
1,187 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Sur Restaurant & Grill
Sur Restaurant & Grill
808 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Andrew Molera State Park
Andrew Molera State Park
168 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
McWay Falls
McWay Falls
980 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
Julia Pfeiffer Burns...
1,322 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Piedras Blancas
Piedras Blancas
622 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
San Simeon
San Simeon
Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle
5,916 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort and Spa
Sycamore Mineral Springs...
2,818 Reviews
San Luis Obispo, CA
Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

Thankyou for the suggestions. I have booked a campsite at Pfeiffer Big Sur SP is that different to Julia Preiffer Burns SP?

Will there nonmally be seals on the beaches, I'm there 11 June.

Mentioned in this post
Pfeiffer Beach
Pfeiffer Beach
1,164 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

Pfeiffer Big Sur SP is a different park than Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP. Julia SP is a few minutes south of Big Sur. There is also a waterfall to hike to in Big Sur SP.

There have been elephant seals at Piedras Blancas every time I've been by, but the last time there were less than I 've seen.

Mentioned in this post
Pfeiffer Beach
Pfeiffer Beach
1,164 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Piedras Blancas
Piedras Blancas
622 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
815 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

If you REALLY want to see seals up close, especially elephant seals, there is a colony of them just south of Piedras Blancas lighthouse in San Simeon, about an hour south of Big Sur, on Hwy 1.

Mentioned in this post
Piedras Blancas
Piedras Blancas
622 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
San Simeon
San Simeon
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 4 Big Sur to Hollywood

Paul,

Check out my previous commentarys to both Rahnee's "Driving California" post and OzVisitor's "Driving times-Coast" post. This will help you out alot. (It's a few pages to scroll back & find.) Some of this will pertain to your trip. The post comments here are all true with lots of experience and insight. Hope this helps...

Vicki...

Mentioned in this post