We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip April 2008

London,England
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip April 2008

I'm not sure which forum to post this on as we're intending travelling through 3 states, but I'll start here,

I'd just like to know anyones thoughts on the trip we intend to take next easter 2weeks in April.

My husband and I and two daughters 12 and 17 intend to fly into LA and basically we want to drive in a loop taking in San Diego, Tucson,Phoenix.Grand Canyon,Las Vegas and back to LA.

Is this do able in 2 weeks, we dont want to be driving constantly?

Will the weather be warm at that time of the year?

Any other must see places on route.

I'd be greatful for any input. We last visited this part of America 20 years ago on our honeymoon and really loved it. The kids have been to Florida 4 times but I want to show them REAL america not just theme parks and the like.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip April 2008

Two weeks is definitely enough. You'll be driving a maximum of 8 hours per day but can even cut those (Grand Canyon to Vegas and San Diego to Tucson) down by staying the night in between.

Maybe I'm biased, but there's not a lot between these places in California. Either way, you should post this in the Arizona forum also to get some suggestions from the experts, especially on Grand Canyon and the Sedona area.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip April 2008

I just don't agree. I would never attempt this in two weeks.

You WILL be driving constantly.

The weather will be fine, however.

London,England
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip April 2008

Thanks for your input guys, I may look at shortening the loop and doing less mileage.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,922 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip April 2008

It is kind of easy to see that there would be a lot of driving. I f you take 14 days and divide by the no. of cities/sights, you will see that there are about 2 days for each place and then a few days left over. You could shorten the loop by flying into LA and out of Las Vegas or Phoenix.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip April 2008

My opinion:

Yes, too much driving. This is what I would do.

-Fly into LA and see the sights there

-Drive to San Diego and see the sights there

-Skip Tucson and Phoenix-the Grand Canyon is the "big site" in the desert and with your time crunch, Phoenix and Tucson would not be a priority. If you are unwilling to cut out both cities, cut out Tucson. It is small and not much is there. Again, I would cut out both cities though and spend more time enjoying the other places.

-Drive from San Diego to the Grand Canyon.

-Drive to Las Vegas.

-As the previous poster said, if you can afford it, fly out of Las Vegas back home or take a Southwest Airlines flight (cheap and all their flights are priced one way) from Vegas to LA.

www.southwestairlines.com

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip April 2008

If you leave Arizona in the trip, my advice would be to skip Phoenix as a stop (we live there) and concentrate on Tucson and the Grand Canyon. Tucson has Karchner Caverns (to the east and south a bit) and the Desert Museum. Both are really interesting and would let you learn very different things about the desert. Phoenix, on the other hand, is just a city with shopping, eating, lots of traffic, etc. There are things to see in Phoenix, but in my opinion, not as much and your time would be better spent elsewhere.

I'd spend two nights at the Grand Canyon so you have one full day there--or as an alternative, one night but arrive early enough to see sunset the first day and get up early enough to see sunrise the next morning. I'd dine in the El Tovar dining room the night planned for viewing sunset. Then I'd see the various sites along the rim until you are ready to go. You may decide that a few looks are all you really want; you may be fascinated and want to spend all day there.

I'd plan on three days in Las Vegas. That will allow time enough to see the two state parks and the glitz of the strip.

If you and your girls have "done" Disneyworld, I'd consider dropping L.A. and drive to San Diego instead. It's totally different from L.A. and there's really a lot to do: U.S.S. Midway (fascinating), fantastic Zoo, Sea World (but again, you have perhaps already done that in Florida), Old Town, Wild Animal Park--totally different from a zoo.

It might be worth considering flying into/out San Diego, though L.A. may have significantly better fares. In any case, it's an easy drive from L.A. to San Diego--not much distance, but lots of traffic. Las Vegas is an easy 1/2 day drive from San Diego. Phoenix/Tucson is an easy 1/2 day drive from Las Vegas. The Grand Canyon is an easy 1/2 day drive from Phoenix. L.A. is a longer drive from Phoenix, but certainly doable. If you're planning on Las Vegas on the way back from Phoenix, it's a very easy 1/2 day drive from Phoenix, and LA is a very easy 1/2 day drive from Las Vegas.

I don't think that's too much driving for a two week trip.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip April 2008

It's 370 miles from L.A. to Phoenix. None of your planned stops are very far apart, and remember that here you'll be driving on freeways and averaging 70 miles an hour--or more.....depending on your style of driving. :)

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip April 2008

Good advice, but the thing you have to consider is that 1/2 day of driving doesn't include packing your suitcases, loading them into the car, checking out of the hotel, getting gas, checking back into the hotel, unloading your suitcases, etc. I planned a 5 country tour of Europe this past summer and although we had a good time, we spent a lot of time changing cities and hotels. The trips in between on the trains weren't that long, but by the time you do all the things you need to do to change locations, it takes a lot longer than you realize.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip April 2008

I'd agree that in Europe things seem to take longer, but for me, getting stuff into the car isn't a big deal--and for short stops, I don't actually un-pack suitcases: I just burrow around in them. :) Anyway, hopefully knowing how far apart the cities are will help them decide what works for their style of traveling.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip April 2008

Forgot to add that there are some good U.S./Europe fares out there now. Air France has Birmingham/San Diego for $765.00 including all taxes.

Search on www.kayak.com and you'll find a wealth of good fares; You can easily check London to each of the cities you are looking at visiting and see where the best rate is.