We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western USA Itinerary

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Western USA Itinerary

Hi all,

So excited - our flights are now booked for late June next year!

Haven't booked accommodation yet but have decided on following itinerary:

LA - 3 nights

LV- 4 nights

Yosemite - 2 nights

SF - 3 nights

Carmel - 2 nights

Cambria - 2 nights

Have one more night after Cambria to play with but considering not booking accommodation and deciding on the last night whether we want to stay in Cambria another night or head back to LA for one last night.

We were originally going to stay in Santa Barbara rather than Cambria but changed my mind after some advice from TA members. Hopefully I've made the right choice. The drive from Cambria to LA seems quite long but then again so does the drive from Carmel to Santa Barbara.

Would it be better from a driving point of view to stay somewhere between Cambria and Santa Barbara to even out the driving times?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kaz

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western USA Itinerary

Why not one night in Cambria and one in Santa Barbara?

Also, are you skipping Death Valley? Yes, it will be toasty,

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western USA Itinerary

Are you planning any excursions from Las Vegas: Lake Mead, Hoover Dam, even the Grand Canyon? Four nights is a long time for Las Vegas (unless you're a hard-core gambler). You can gamble so much closer to home. Why spend so much time in Las Vegas when there are so many other things to see and do?

L.A. is extremely spread out. If you plan on going to any of the amusement parks (Disneyland, Knotts, Magic Mountain), that will take AN ENTIRE DAY getting there and back and enjoying the park. Universal Studios will take 5 or 6 hours. The Getty Center, LACMA or the WB VIP Tours will all take 1/2 day. So, if it were me, I'd add the final day to L.A.

Good luck!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western USA Itinerary

Hey there,

FromtheBu, thanks for your suggestion of staying in both places. I hadn't thought of that. We'll be giving Death Valley a miss, unless we're driving through it on route to one of our stops. I haven't got as far as figuring out driving routes yet.

HopSkipJump, although we're not hardcore gamblers Las Vegas is the focal point of our trip. My hubby has always wanted to visit Vegas and I'm planning a few excursions for us to GC and Hoover Dam. Also a few shows in the evenings. Hence the reason for us staying a bit longer there.

Thanks for the suggestion to spend our last night in LA. We'd like to do Universal and definitely Warner Bro's Studios. Not too sure about the rest of our time there although I'm sure we will find plenty to keep us busy.

Thanks for your responses.

Kaz

4. Re: Western USA Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 06:24