We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

carson city, nv
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

Were traveling on Dec 22nd (Saturday) would like to stop overnight somewhere about halfway or closer to Disney , as we have 2 kids and just feel it might be best to stop for the night!

This is our first trip down Interstate 5 (were actually from Reno but spending the night with a friend in Sac before heading to Disney so we will be *leaving* early am from Sac )

Any favorite spots to spend the night at? I want to feel safe , prefer a upstairs room, and being close to a walmart or a Macdonald's of any sort would be great:) or just a Macdonald's even :)

or something cheap that will keep the kids happy for a moment till bedtime:)

safety is the biggest concern and not feeling creeped out in the middle of nowhere , but also not pushing the husband to drive this drive in one stretch, so also a comfy good night's sleep is very important!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

Down I5 to Anaheim on an early Sat morning may take less time than you think. I 5 is extremely fast and it is likely to take you under 7 hours to make the whole trip. You'd likely get to Anaheim in the early afternoon.

If that's not good for you then do you think you might want to drive for 5 hours and then stop? Maybe you'd want to stay in the Santa Clarita area so that on Sunday morning you can jump back on I5 to Anaheim. Santa Clarita has lots of good choices with easy access to I 5. Do you have a favorite hotel?

There is

Hilton Garden Inn

Hampton Inn

Courtyard

Holiday Inn Express - McDonalds is on McBean semi close by.

If Santa Clarita is too far you might consider Bakersfield or just before Santa Clarita but after Bakersfield is Castiac which has a Days Inn. Not much to do there though so it would just be a stop on the side of the road. The NMcDonalds is only 1/2 mile form the hotel.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

If you want to stay on I-5 the entire way, it's only about 425 miles, give or take a few, from Sacramento to Anaheim. There isn't a whole lot of anything on I-5; the biggest risk to the average person is falling asleep on the straight, smooth stretches of road.

A little over halfway is Lost Hills, the junction of SR 46. There are a few motels and eateries, but no entertainment of any kind.

If you're willing to detour a short distance, Bakersfield is not far from I-5 and there are more choices of lodging, meals, etc., and a few more diversions for the kids. Then stay on SR 99 south for about 30 miles and it merges back into I-5.

Castaic isn't a big town, but it's convenient. It has a few motels, convenience stores, and a lake recreation area. You can look right down from Castaic and see how smoggy it's going to be in Los Angeles. Santa Clarita is farther on, but then the kids might get you sidetracked at Six Flags and you won't make it to Anaheim!

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

Hwy 5 is probably the quickest way but there are no larger towns or cities on it. If you choose to take "99" you could stay about halfway in Visalia/Tulare or go a bit further down the road to Bakersfield. You could also cut over to Bakersfield from I-5. It's about 20 miles. If it were me I'd do it all in one day. Leave early so and let the kids sleep in the car. Stop for breakfast after they wake up and break for lunch later on. Depending on traffic you could probably make it in about 7 hrs driving time.

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

Stevenson Ranch or Magic Mountain, do a Priceline bid for a three star. Check "biddingfortravel.com" or "betterbidding.com" for winning bids and dates in those areas. Still about an hour with no traffic, 30 mins more with traffic to Dizzyland. There are shopping centers, supermarkets and Target Stores in that area. Only thing is Magic Mountain on a saturday night brings out a young crowd, but food and snacks, in by 8 or 9pm and early start the next morning is what I think you are looking for.

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

Stevenson Ranch would be your best bet. There's a Hampton Inn, Comfort Suites, La Quinta and Fairfield Inn all at the Lyons Ave. offramp, just north of the 14/5 split. This area is affectionatly called "Hamburger Hill" as there is a McDonalds, In-n-out, Carls Jr., El Pollo Loco, Taco Bell, IHop, and Dennys all very close together. There are nicer restaurants in the area too such as Claim Jumper, Macaroni Grill, Chili's, Outback etc. There is also a large shopping center including WalMart, Sport Chalet, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Michaels etc. within a couple blocks of all those hotels.

We drove up to Sacto just a couple weeks ago. From Santa Clarita it was about 5 1/2 hours. From here to Disneyland is an hour and 15 minutes on a good day.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

We find with kids it is easiest to do the entire drive between Sac and LA in one day. It is a long day - but you don't need to get them back in the car the next day and delay the vacation.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

* "Stevenson Ranch would be your best bet. There's a Hampton Inn, Comfort Suites, La Quinta and Fairfield Inn all at the Lyons Ave..." *

Off topic, but is Stevenson Ranch now an incorporated town?

When I was working down there some years ago, it was just starting up as a residential community. I think I always thought of the Lyons exit as being in Newhall or Valencia.

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

Frisco,

Stevenson Ranch is still in the Santa Clarita City boundaries, but it's certainly grown enough to become incorporated! Lyons Avenue does go through Newhall/Valencia, but west of the freeway it's turned into Pico Canyon with a ton of new housing developments!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

Is Mentryville still there, with those quaint old houses?

I probably haven't been in that area in 6-7 years; I might not recognize it now!

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sacramento to Disneyland Best Place to stop for the night?

Yes, Mentryville is still there. They've been working on those old buildings to try to make it a "destination" for a few years now.