We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La & San Francisco: What else ?

Ile-de-France...
Level Contributor
896 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
La & San Francisco: What else ?

We'll go to california for 2 weeks in april/may 2008.

We plan to spend about 4 days in each city + 2 days for travelling from one to the other. We do not plan to go to the parks. It will be a next trip !

Many questions :

- What is better ? To start by LA and end by SF or opposite or is it the same ?

- Does Disney Land worthes particularly it, as we went twice in Euro-Disney ?

- we will have a couple of days for an other visit. Where do we must absolutly go ?

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La & San Francisco: What else ?

What do you enjoy doing? Scenery, museums, food, outdoors, etc...

I would start in San Francisco and drive down the coast - maybe adding an additional day on your trip south.

What do you plan on doing when you visit Los Angeles?

You might want to consider staying 3 days in LA and then heading down to Laguna for a day or two or go on down to San Diego for a couple of days.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,978 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La & San Francisco: What else ?

Some things you may want to consider in making a decision about which city to begin;

If flying into either city (the major airfields are LAX and SFO)your fare may be considerably different.

If you plan on seeing a concert, play, sporting event, or other show check the schedules. It would be unfortunate to miss a show you would like to see because you picked the wrong city to start in.

Other than that I personally don't think it makes much difference.

Your question about not going to the parks is somewhat vague. Do you mean National Parks, amusement parks, etc...?

Check the FAQ for San Francisco & LA to get info for more things to see while you are here.

Dr. Z

Ile-de-France...
Level Contributor
896 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La & San Francisco: What else ?

thank you for the answers.

For the parks, I was talking about national parks.

In LA we want to have the main touristic visits: Universal, walk of fame, Venice,...

We usually like to walk in the streets, looking at the landscape, the architecture of the houses ...

And shopping for my wife and my daughter.

That's why I don't know if we will appreciate LA after visiting SF, so I wonder if starting by LA is not the good choice. Difficult, still appreciate your tips!

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,978 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La & San Francisco: What else ?

Don't compare or contrast the 2 cities. They are both unique and have much to offer.

For architecture and scenery, SF is unbeatable. For beaches LA and Orange county is the place to be. If you are a foodie both regions have incredible places. Downtown LA and Union Square in SF are well known shopping areas.

If you wish to stop somewhere in between the 2, Santa Barbara and Carmel are popular choices.

Do some more research and come back here with some concrete questions. Let us know if you have kids with you, where you will be staying, will you have a car, and what kind of shopping you prefer.

Happy Planning.

Ile-de-France...
Level Contributor
896 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La & San Francisco: What else ?

Thank you.

We are a couple with one daughter 14.

I manage to more organize my thoughts, and I will ask you again.

Merry Christmas from France.

I'll have a glass of Champagne and "Foie Gras" dreaming in your next hollidays in your wonderfull country. I'm looking forward to tasting Californian wines.

Roger

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: La & San Francisco: What else ?

rogermauricemartin will be in «california for 2 weeks in april/may 2008.»

«We do not plan to go to the parks. It will be a next trip !»

City? State? National?

«better ? To start by LA and end by SF or opposite»

If you're driving, as I presume you will, it's best to start in San Francisco . . .

The "Don't-miss SIGHTS in San Francisco" page geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep you busy for nine 12.7-hour days. It includes links to your best sources of advice on WHERE TO EAT and, according to the Department of Health, WHERE TO NOT EAT here, the UseNet Group ba.food, and the quite-good sfSurvey/Tastyr and the comprehensive Yelp. It also has a WEATHER CHART with a link to current conditions.

. . . for your trip down the Cabrillo and Pacific Coast highways as you'll be on the water side of a waterside road.

Driving Directions with links to relevant maps and URLs of places passed through: San Francisco to Pacifica-Half Moon Bay-Santa Cruz-Monterey/Carmel, Big Sur, San Luís Obispo, Yosemite, and Los Angeles geocities.com/touringsfo/…DriveDir.html

«Disney Land worthes»

I've not been to Euro-Disney (went to Asterix) but was extremely disappointed with DisneyWorld that was virtually identical to DisneyLand. Whether that's true of Euro-Disney, I don't know but do have my suspicions.

«Where do we must absolutly go ?»

Yosemite! Cross the state from San Luís Obispo to Yosemite and then go to Los Angeles via Bakersfield from Fresno.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La & San Francisco: What else ?

Have you thought about visiting Las Vegas for a couple of days? You could drive from LA or fly.

Las Vegas....what else?

Ile-de-France...
Level Contributor
896 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La & San Francisco: What else ?

Thanks both.

Las Vegas will be next trip with the national parks.

SwingCha:

For Yosemite, you say "Cross the state from San Luís Obispo to Yosemite and then go to Los Angeles via Bakersfield from Fresno".

Why not to go to Yoshemite with a kind of "one day tour" from SF ? From San Luis obispo to Yosemite, it makes a long detour on the way to LA?

Is the motorway on the coast from San Luis Obispo to LA less interesting ?

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La & San Francisco: What else ?

Good morning Roger,

If you are planning a Yosemite stop, I would go straight across from SF on Highway 120, spend a few days in the Valley if you can get them then exit out the south and heard to LA via Bakersfield and Highway 99. This is most efficient leaving you with less time traveling and more time at each destination.

However, reading your post, I got the feeling you might be looking forward to the coastal drive from SF to LA (or reverse). The coastal route to/from SF & LA is long, beautiful, but after many hours I begin to find it tedious. My preference is to drive the fast highways getting to my destination cities and then explore the coastal regions from there.

If you are saving the Parks for another trip, Yosemite might make a nice center piece to a trip that includes Death Valley, Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon.

Have a fantastic holiday!

California
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La & San Francisco: What else ?

I would start my trip in Los Angeles for the following reasons:

Possibilty of having more flexible and possible better priced tickets by flying into LA.

LA can be overwhelming.....many people, many cars, lots of traffic....virtually endless. I feel that once you explore all that you want to in LA, which is a lot, that it would be nice to switch gears by driving up the coast, maybe seeing Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Monterey and then finding your way up towards San Francisco.

You will probably find Northern California a bit more relaxing than Los Angeles. Although by no means French,you may find that Northern California has the blend of city life, gastronomic appeal, shopping, hostiry, attractions, natural splendor and weather that your entire family will enjoy.

DON'T MISS: Manhattan Beach (Los Angeles), Getty Museum (Los Angeles), Santa Monica (Los Angeles), Hollywood "Stuff", Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Monterey / Carmel, Alcatraz (SF), Coit Tower (SF), drinks at the Top of the Mark Hopkins Hotel (SF), A Nice seafood meal at McCormick & Culetos (SF / Ghiradelli Square), China Town (SF), Golden Gate Bridge (SF), Sausalito (SF / Marin), Muir Woods (SF / Marin), Sonoma / Napa Wineries (SF).

If you have the time, don't miss Yosemite. I feel that it is too far away and there is too much to see to do a day trip from SF. Hope this helps.