We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

Manchester
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

Hello All,

I really need some help planing a road trip for our honeymoon.

We fly into LAX in May and we want to drive up route 1 to San Francisco and then over to Vegas. Thats the rough idea but when I have started to look into it it seems like we need 3 weeks and not the 10 days we have scheduled. I am worried we are going to be spending all the time driving and not sightseeing.

We got engaged in San Franciso so we are not planning on spending much time there, maybe 1 night across the bay somewhere.

We want to spend 3 of the nights in Vegas, but the rest the trip is a blur.

Can anyone recommend a trip planner or offer advise of what to see and where to spend our time?

Thanks!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

I would suggest looking into Southwest Airlines for a cheap internal flights between San Francisco or Oakland to Las Vegas. The flight is only an hour and if booked far enough in advance can be purchased for $59 one way (sometimes cheaper).

If you do a search on coast highway, SF to LA, LA to SF - you will come up with many good itineraries for your drive.

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

If you want to stay somewhere across the bay check out the Claremount Hotel and Resort in Berkeley. It is a large old hotel with rooms that have wonderful views. (You'll want to ask for the Bay View rooms.)

Stay in Carmel or Monterey or Pacific Grove. Variety of accomondations for all price ranges. In the area is Point Lobos, wine tasting, and Monterey and Monterey Aquarium.

When driving between LA and Monterey take the pressure off and stay in Cambria or Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara has an interesting Mission and a nice beach front.

I agree with the earlier post fly between Bay Area and Las Vegas.

Cheers !

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

Hi, You might want to read another post, "Our first US trip", by TheCow ... it sounds as if your trips may be very similar!

Do you want to spend much time in LA, or just arrive and leave from there? Anything else you may want to see in So Cal? It's a nice two day (one night) drive up the coast route Hwy 1 from LA to SF, with gorgeous scenery.

Do you want to see the Grand Canyon from LV? Any interest in Yosemite?

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

What time to you arrive at LAX. That will greatly influence how fast you will get away from L.A. Traffic in L.A. is horrible!!!

But as you drive north and slowly leave the congestion we know so well here in L.A. you will be greeted with the Pacific Ocean on your left and rolling hills on your right.

Going north on Highway 1 you will pass Hearst Castle, which is fabulous in late spring. I think this is the only time of year tours of the garden are given.

But - Just before the Castle you will pass Hwy 46 East. If you like wine, you will want to plan some time for Hwy 46 because is it lined with wine tasting rooms nestled in rolling vineyards. The hillsides are covered in beautiful wildflowers. I enjoy Castoro Cellars and Sycamore Farms, which is an herb farm/neat stuff store/wine tasting counter all rolled in one. Many of the tasting rooms are up winding roads that end in expansive views of the countryside. When I visited Epernay, France, in May it felt like this part of California.

I think the recommendation to fly from SF to Vegas is a wise one. Driving through the desert is highly overrated:~}

Bon Voyage!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,590 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

I did a similar trip with my parents last year and you could easily make it in 10 days.

Are you flying out of Vegas? Otherwise i would recomend to drop off your car in Vegas and take a southwest flight back to L.A.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

You say you're from Manchester, UK?

If that's the case, happily ignore the awful advice anyone gives you about flying between Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

Countless people from Britain and Europe come to TA to tell us that the spectacularly scenic drive through the Mojave Desert between those two destinations is one of the highlights of their trip to our beautiful country.

While others may disagree, California is meant to be seen from the ground, not from 35,000 feet, looking out of a tiny window.

However, can I suggest you fly into SF, then drive to LA then on to LV? I prefer driving CA Highway 1 southbound. Also, the drive from LA to LV is better, in my opinion, than the other way around.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,590 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

I am with you on that one, i love driving from Vegas to L.A. and fight with people in the L.A. Forum driving vs flying all the time. Only recomended it to save some time and not be to rushed. By all means drive, it's scenic and spectacular in my book

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

Makes much more sense if the route is reversed; fly into SF, drive to LA, drive to LV. Much more doable too. Maybe the OP will check back here soon?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

mackeyuk said «We fly into LAX in May and we want to drive up route 1 to San Francisco and then over to Vegas

It is better to start your trip in San Francisco and return from Las Vegas.

If you're travelling 'fore the end of May, the Tioga Road and Pass, from Yosemite Valley to the Eastern Sierra Highway, is likely to be closed. The alternate route to Las Vegas is via Bakersfield.

Driving Directions with links to relevant maps and URLs of places passed through: San Francisco to Pacifica-Half Moon Bay-Santa Cruz-Monterey/Carmel, Big Sur, San Luís Obispo, Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles geocities.com/touringsfo/…DriveDir.html

You may read a color-coded-to-interests report on our 2007 trip to Las Vegas via Yosemite and Death Valley at geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/RoadJJ07.html If your interest is limited to point-to-point distances, times, and speeds: geocities.com/iconoc/…Stats

And you might be interested in reading a page announced December 23 that's more about The Coast and around Los Angeles geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Road2N07.html

10. Re: RoadTrip Help | LA - San Fran - Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 11:19