We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

Queensland
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

Hi,

We will be leaving our hotel in Vegas to fly out of LAX at 11.30pm the same night. We are hiring a car for the day and would like to see a few things along the way since we don't need to be back at LAX until 8pm at night. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should do for the day. I wouldn't mind visiting the Californian coast and doing some shopping before going to LAX.

thanks!

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

Post on Los Angeles Forum and you are more likely to get a response to your inquiry.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,883 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

If it were me, I'd take a 1-hour flight from Las Vegas to LAX (fares start at around $40). This will save you 5 or more hours of worrisome driving and get you into L.A. in the morning. From LAX, rent a car and drive the coast -- either south through the "south Bay" even as far south as Long Beach (the Queen Mary museum/former luxury liner, the Aquarium of the Pacific) or into Orange County.

Orm drive north from LAX into Venice, Santa Monica and Malibu (the Getty VILLA -- not to be confused with the Getty CENTER) is here.

Good luck!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

I like the fly to LA idea!

My mom went to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, said it was the best she has ever seen.!

The drive from Vegas to LA is not the most exciting, and you really won't see much.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

You're driving through the desert and to many people from Europe and Australia there's nothing wrong with this route. See the various threads about it.

You can make a detour through beautiful Mojave National Preserve. Take exit 272 to Cima and drive along 1000s of Joshua Trees. Drive to Kelso and visit the Depot and museum. See "roaring" Kelso Dunes and take Kelbaker road to Baker making a stop at Cinder Cone Lava Beds.

You will be in a plane for a long time flying back to QLD.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

kelsta78, there are a number of people on TA who must think it's cute or funny to dissuade people from the outstanding experience of driving between Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

Please ignore them. People from overseas often consider the drive to be a highlight of their trip to the southwest United States.

Now, the coast is kinda out of the way, but it is doable. But, because it's out of the way, it means that you're going to have to pass on some shopping and other stops along the way, or you won't get to the coast until dark!

If you want to shop and stop, I'll leave it to others to give you advice.

If you want the coast, here's the route (it's interesting and scenic):

I-15 south from Las Vegas.

CA SR 58 east from Barstow/Lenwood.

CA SR 14 south from Mojave

I-5 north at Sylmar

CA SR 126 east at Castaic Junction (if you don't mind surface streets and follow signs well, you can take CA SR 126 east from CA SR 14)

US 101 north in Ventura (short distance)

Exit at Harbor Blvd, which you take south

Left/east at Channel Islands Blvd.

Right (south/east) on CA SR 1/Oxnard Blvd.

Follow CA SR 1 south all the way to LAX

As always, consult maps.google.com before embarking!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

Aren't opinions wonderful!

Either fly and have more time on the beach and for shopping, or drive and enjoy the desert. Since I live in the desert, my choice usually is the ocean.

Enjoy what ever you do. Not all of us on TA have the same opinions, but I think most of us try to give information.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

CasaAzul, in your scenario they have to go to Las Vegas airport, check-in, get probed by TSA, then wait (at least 90 minutes), fly an hour (now up to 2:30), collect baggage and rent a car (another hour, now 3:30) and they're still at the airport.

You've just wasted 3:30 of kelsta78's trip (at least)...time that could be spent seeing our spectacular Mojave Desert (and enjoying a sublime fresh strawberry shake at The Mad Greek in Baker).

Opinions are not created equally, and yours is ill-advised for overseas visitors.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

"If it were me, I'd take a 1-hour flight from Las Vegas to LAX (fares start at around $40)."

HSJ, instead of being disingenuous, at least tell kelsta78 that the "1-hour flight" will, in reality, take about 3:30 from hotel to steering wheel.

Also, I don't consider it 5 hours of "worrisome" driving. I find it both relaxing and reinvigorating, like any good scenic excursion.

And, as we've been told over and over and over and over by overseas visitors, the drive is a must-do experience.

Please, listen to them. Absorb what people say about the drive. Adjust your opinions to match that helpful input.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

"Probed by TSA"? Wow, you must have had some really bad flights recently, lol!

I'm sure that for every overseas visitor that loves driving the route from Vegas to LA, there are equal numbers that hate it. All I remember from the drive is a Carls Junior somewhere in the desert, maybe Barstow??! Never saw a strawberry anything, but sounds interesting. I saw a tv show (Travel or Food Channel) about the Greek restaurant you mentioned, maybe a stop someday.

I guess I will agree to disagree with you and keep on posting my opinions. Gotta love TA!

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending a whole day driving from Vegas to LAX

"I'm sure that for every overseas visitor that loves driving the route from Vegas to LA, there are equal numbers that hate it."

Where did you come up with that statistic?

The fact is, if you read these forums, you will see that virtually every overseas visitor that posts about the drive, loves the drive.

Here are a couple of samples:

"First off re driving from LA to Vegas, the cause of so much debate. From a european perspective absolutely no choice - you must drive!!! Please never again advise Europeans to fly. Left Redondo Beach at 6.30, booked in to Signaturre @ 'MGM Grand at 1.10. 3 stops on the way,1 for gas in LA, Big Boys in Barstow for breakfast & the Mad Greek in Baker for a strawberry smoothie - what a shock. Great drive, 1 of the highlights of our trip." - Birmingham poster

Here's an opinion from a western Australian:

"Look, if you're in a hurry, and all you want to do is get there - fly. It's cheap and easy. However, my partner and I hired a convertible, ate breakfast at Nate and Al's, shopped up a storm on Rodeo Drive and got the hell outa there before 2pm armed with a bunch of CDs picked up at the Virgin store on Hollywood Blvd and had the best road trip eva!! Once you've done it, sure, it'd be boring, but don't deny any first timers that blast through the desert!"