We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from san francisco to los angeles

Paris, France
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
from san francisco to los angeles

hello to all,

We are flying in AUGUST, from PARIS to SAN FRANCISCO and 17 days later, flying back home from LA.

We were already in LA, LAS VEGAS, Grand Canyon, and the other parks.

This time, we would like to spend our vacations like that :

7 days in San Francisco (no car)

then, will rent a car for the 10 days and will start with 3 days in YOSEMITE.

Need some help in arranging a nice program, for the other 7 days before going home.

May be, near the beach but finding a reasonable priced hotel is a headhache. (maximum 200 USD per night)

Only found hotels within this budget in VENTURA/OXNARD and one near LA, the Double Tree San Pedro.

1st question : how clean is San Pedro beach ?

2 nd question : 7 days in VENTURA, is it too long ?

Any idea, suggestion, places to visit, will be very helpfull and much appreciate.

Many thanks to all.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from san francisco to los angeles

I recommend you spend some days driving down Highway 1 (makes sense to doit before heading to Yosemite) and use the days left over in San Diego. That's alot of driving!

Skip San Pedro ... it's just a port.

IMO, Ventura is barely worth staying 1 night for.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from san francisco to los angeles

hi !

thanks for your answer.

Do you mean from SF, to go south to Santa Cruz, Monterey and Carmel ? but, hotels are really expensive in this area in August. Same situation when I was looking for a hotel in San Diego, near the beach.

I'm used to a 3 or 4 stars hotel (holiday inn, hilton garden inn, Marriot, this kind of comfort).

Any suggestion ?

many-many thanks for your help !

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from san francisco to los angeles

I suggest that if you want a 3- or 4-star hotel, that you be prepared to pay the price for one.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from san francisco to los angeles

bonjour, FromTheBu

I know that I will get what I'm paying for... no secret, no dream.

I just would like to find an idea where to stay for a week. A nice place not far from the beach, with some interesting visits to do.

It's why I found a Marriot in Ventura.. in my budget.

Again, thanks for anyone able to help me to choose the right stop.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,704 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from san francisco to los angeles

a-french-aloha

Have you considered staying in San Luis Obispo? There are several affordable accommodations in town and you're central to so many small beach towns to explore as well as touring Hearst Castle or doing a wine tasting tour in Paso Robles wine country.

7 days in Ventura is way too long. Perhaps 4 days in San Luis Obispo and 3 in Ventura would give you a lot of California to experience.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from san francisco to los angeles

I agree with the above about San Pedro, it is a port and not much more.

I would spend those seven days on the central coast.

I would spend some time in San Luis Opispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura. 7 days in Ventura alone is too much. But you can spread yourself out. Here are my recommendations on things to do in the area.

1. Morro Bay: Its west of San Luis Obispo (SLO). It has a quaint little shopping and eating area all the water which is good to stroll around in an afternoon. Its also close to Montana de Oro state park which has beautiful hiking trials (most of which are very easy) through the forest and along the beatiful and rugged coast. Great place to spot wildlife.

2. San Simeon and Hearst Castle: Northwest of SLO but if you haven't ever been there its worth the trip. Its a magical place and the tours are a lot of fun. You can kill a whole day at this jewel of the central coast. If you decide to do this get reservations in advance to avoid waiting along time once you get there. (www.hearstcastle.com)

3. SLO itself is very nice. I love the downtown area for shopping, people watching and eating at one of the restuarants along the creek. Dinner at the Madonna Inn is fun because of the hotel is famously eccentric. . . if you don't know the Modonna Inn check out its website (www.madonnainn.com) the place is so over the top. Also, the Farmers Market on Thursday evenings is a blast (on Higuera Street).

4. Santa Ynez Valley Wineries: Tons of places to go wine tasting. My personal favorite because of the beauty of the surrounding area, the beauty of the winery itself and availability of a place to picnic is Sunstone winery. (www.sunstonewinery.com)

5. Of course, Santa Barbara (where I live and love) has TONS of stuff to do, but it is usually very pricey to stay here. If you want to know of things to do in Santa Barbara just check the Santa Barbara forum.

6. North Ventura: Along Main Street there is a lot of cool little boutiques and antique shops, cool places to eat and the Mission San Buenaventura (http://www.sanbuenaventuramission.org), Primary areas of activity include California Street and Main Street between Ventura Avenue and Fir Street. Located in downtown is also the historic Ortega Adobe, home to the Ortega family, now famous for their chile products.

7. Both Ventura and Santa Barbara both have nice beaches.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from san francisco to los angeles

good morning from Paris

Kibblesmom and thekld, really appreciate your answers.

I will study more in details your suggestions.They are really very helpfull for me.

I have now some ideas what to look for.

many many thanks again.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: from san francisco to los angeles

Please visit the TouringSFO site to visit the DON'T MISS SIGHTS and DRIVING DIRECTIONS pages and to read the report "A Trip to Anaheim . . ." that you might find helpful.

Just as seven days in San Francisco is too few, seven days in Ventura is too many.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from san francisco to los angeles

good evening from Paris,

for SwingCha = I'm afraid I will spend all my week end to read all the posts you have already written (I see 3594 !)After that, I'm sure I will not miss informations.

I did'nt find the address on GOOGLE for "TouringSFO"

I'm travelling with my daughter 19 years old. She was already 3 weeks with school in SF. So, one week will be OK and, certainely, will come back !

For the moment, I think we will stay only one or two nights in Ventura area. We would like to visit Channel Islands NP. After, still looking...

many thanks again for your help.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: from san francisco to los angeles

a-french-aloha said «I did'nt find the address on GOOGLE for "TouringSFO"»

I did. It popt right up:

SAN FRANCISCO: Touring for Visitors and Tourists

Contact TouringSFO TOURING SAN FRANCISCO ... Contact TouringSFO 22 XII 7 — 10.0 In 1872, Norton I, Dei Gratia Emperor of the United States and Protector of ...

www.geocities.com/touringsfo/ - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

But I should have included the URL. I apologize for having not done so.