We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer vacation with teens

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
summer vacation with teens

Planning our summer vacation with older teens. We did a SF trip last summer and loved it! Drove down to Monterrey, 17 mile drive and Carmel. Loved the drive, fabulous scentery and great hikes. We will do Yosemite another year, but wanted other trip ideas. Central Coast? Big Sur? San Diego - wasn't sure if this held enough appeal for active teens? Would prefer one or two locations from which to base day trips, etc for a week.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer vacation with teens

Lassen National Park is very nice with some good hikes. Just north of there are Burney Falls - very impressive, McCloud Falls and Mt Shasta is relatively close. Driving south from there is California Gold Country - you can go river rafting on the American River, pan & sluice for Gold, explore several caves - some with fun repelling adventures, along with a bit of history American History.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer vacation with teens

My suggestion would be Laguna Beach. It's the best spot in the world for teenagers, lots of surfing, boogie boarding, walk to shops and restaurants, etc. It's a young town and ideal in the summer.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: summer vacation with teens

Yogachick is absolutely correct. It's the perfect place for teens. My teen had a blast.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: summer vacation with teens

Love the look of Laguna. Any thoughts regarding accommodations? I'd like to keep to $250/night. Is this reasonable? Anyone know about vacation rentals?

Level Contributor
35,922 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: summer vacation with teens

We loved our time in Laguna Beach this past December. There are several beaches, Heisler Park and the beach in the back of the Montage are gorgeous areas. You may want to go to the Montage for appetizers to just check it out, The Loft has amazing views from their outdoor terrace area. We loved our stay here, also but it is very pricey.

We stayed at the Casa Laguna Inn for 3 nights, our room was about $229/night and included a full breakfast each morning. Hope you have a great trip! :)

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
95 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: summer vacation with teens

Hi Carolinagirl,

If you decide on Laguna Beach, I strongly suggest getting tickets to the Pageant of the Masters: www.foapom.com

The Sawdust Festival is also going on throughout the summer and is fun for all ages. Laguna Beach is very much an art town so these events are quintessential LB experiences.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: summer vacation with teens

syrahgirl, Casa Laguna looks fabulous. Unfortunately, I would need two rooms (one for my teen boys), and this would be out of our price range. I'll keep this in mind if I'm ever back just with my husband. Other suggestions?

Level Contributor
35,922 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: summer vacation with teens

I noticed a very pretty Holiday Inn in Laguna Beach, it is right across the steet from the ocean, the website is www.hilagunabeach.com if you want to check rates here. :)

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: summer vacation with teens

anyone had any experience with vrbo or rentals by owner in Laguna?

Lake Forest
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: summer vacation with teens

Anything hotel in Laguna Beach will be over $200 a night, especially in the summer. You might try one of the outlying hotels. There is a nice Ayres Hotel in Laguna Woods, just a 10 minute drive from Main Beach and less than that to the Sawdust Festival. You can drive into Laguna Beach, park and walk around all day. Another teen hotspot is the Irvine Spectrum, an outdoor shopping/entertainment center which is just up the freeway a bit from Laguna (look for the huge ferris wheel). Lots of beach/skate stores, movies, restaurants. Nice option for day or night. My two teenagers love to hang out there as well as the beach.