We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is a relaxing place to go in California

Jacksonville, IL
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where is a relaxing place to go in California

My husband and I would like to take a relaxing vacation. We would either like to go to Napa Valley or somewhere on the water. Where is a nice area that isn't real touristing that has stuff to do but isn't crowded. I will tell you that we have stayed in Naples Florida and loved it there so that is what we are after.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is a relaxing place to go in California

Look into Paso Robles or Santa Barbara. Both along the Central Coast of California. Paso Robles is inland a bit - but an easy drive top Cambria, Morro Bay and surrounding beach towns. They both have wine regions with excellent wines and it is much less crowded or touristy as the Napa Valley is.

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is a relaxing place to go in California

I agree, the central coast. You have hearst castle, drive up big sur, Cambria and loads of wine tasting. Napa is much more crowded, but if you want someplace with sun and more heat, Napa would be better. I don't know when you are visiting, but the cental coast is more sweatshirt climate. Cambria has vacation rentals if you don't want to stay in a hotel.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is a relaxing place to go in California

It is interesting, but I have always thought of Naples,Florida as being kind of touristy.

The weather here in California will not be hot like Florida,especially not in winter. Perhaps it would be good to know WHEN you are planning this trip as climate may be an issue.

Level Contributor
35,471 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is a relaxing place to go in California

Sonoma is less populated than Napa Valley, you may want to consider some time in Bodega Bay on the Sonoma Coast, we like the Bodega Bay Lodge & Spa for lodging here.

Another thought is Avila Beach in the SLO area, it is less populated than Morro Bay or Pismo. You could go to the Sycamore Springs Resort and do the hot tubs there, you can rent them by the hour, there is also the Gardens of Avila, a nice restaurant there. Have fun! :)

Jacksonville, IL
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is a relaxing place to go in California

So is Sonoma a good wine tasting area, similar to Napa but not so crowded. We are looking at going in July or August.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,884 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is a relaxing place to go in California

There's really no way to avoid crowds during peak tourist season, and with the dollar so low bringing hoards of tourists to the most-visited state. If you want to avoid crowds, take your vacation in September, when weather is still glorious and the tourists are gone.

I would suggest the Oregon coast, if you must travel in July or August.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is a relaxing place to go in California

As one who lives here, I can tell you the Oregon coast is quite crowded in June, July and August. Spring or fall is always a much better time to visit tourist areas!

8. Re: Where is a relaxing place to go in California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 22:16