We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phone / cell phone from oz

perth Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mobile phone / cell phone from oz

Hi just wondering whats the best way to have a mobile over there , coming from Australia was going to bring mine and buy a pre paid sim card . Is this the best way to do it?

thanks

West Aussie
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phone / cell phone from oz

Hi Sam. We just got international roaming on our phones but we only sent sms messages as that the cheapest way to go. You are gonna have a blast. We were last there in June 07. Fantastic place makes Perth look and feel so boring. Yosemite is amazing. Look farward to hearing about you holiday on your return.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phone / cell phone from oz

Double check that your phone band will work in the US.

perth Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile phone / cell phone from oz

Hi I love to tap dance... Is there anymore tips you can give me , we leave in 4 weeks, fly into san fran , 3 nites, Tues To thurs,Fri pick up our hire car,stay Fri nite in Yosemite in a hard sided cabin.

nxt day drive over to the coast rd ,staying around carmel there abouts, Sat nite.

next day, Sun continue onto L.A staying Sun nite santa Monicia.

Mon make our way to Disneyland where we will stay 5 nites, in Hotel Menage boutique resort, near disneyland gate 7 min walk.

Sat off to San dieago 1 nite , Sun day drive to pheonix stay around Tucson,making our way over to the grand canyon,staying Sedona then stay a nite closer to the canyon .

then to las vegas a few nites there, making our back to San Fran to fly out .

Anytips mate i would love to hear .

where In Perth Are you Im south off the river.

cheers hope to hear from you soon.

West Aussie
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile phone / cell phone from oz

Hi Sam. Im also south of the river in Cannington/Beckenham. Anyway tips for you. Enjoy every minute coz it goes so fast. Go to Alcatraz, we booked our tickets online as they sell out very quick. Booking them online is no more expensive and you print out tickets on your own computor to take with you. San Fran I found very cold and lots of homeless but very interesting be sure to have crab soup in sour dough bowl....yumm. With driving OMG you have to keep on the ball, hire a neva lost (GPS) they are a must. At Disneyland take full advantage of the fast passes as these can save you alot of time standing around. Have no idea if you into rides like me and my hubby were but they have some great ones. We went with no kids (left the 3 of them home with grandmother but do hope to get them there one day). We never stayed in San Diego but did go to the Zoo and Sea World both very good. We did a Quad bike ride at the Grand Canyon but you have to be into that sort of thing. Las Vegas well what an eye opener. Go see a show or two. Ask me anything and I see if I can help you in anyway. You will have a blast........I'm envious

perth Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: mobile phone / cell phone from oz

hey cool tapdance,im in yangebup just near cockburn central/jandakot.thanks for the info ,where did you buy your tickets which web site was it. If I use priceline like u did what happens if we get a hotel with only 1 bed as we have our 6 year old daughter with us, im a bit nervous using that site,but really want to as gee you can get a bargain.Sounds like u had a great time .im into all doing as much as possible every where i go and see, your right mate time will fly by.

Im keen to book my disneyland tickets and tours before I go but confused on which web site.

fasttracks at disneyland how does that work I know a little about it you scan your ticket and it tells you when to come back ??????? how do u buy them??? well im not really into adult rides nor hubby but no doubt I,ll be riding all day with daughter, is it still wise to get the fast track with kiddy rides???

tell me which car hire place did you use and we plan on a gps but is the neva lost one the best in your opinion. Also did u book b4 u went or did when u got there?? our plan was to walk about the rental yards and see which car we like and book then? is this a bad idea?

where did u stay in disneyland, .

what place did u love the most ?

gee that Crab soup is making me hungry cant wait to try that,should we stay fisherman,s wharf or union square?

thanks tap dance im so glad i have a west aussie who,s been b4 and can give me a few good tips .

cheers owe u one :)

Samantha

West Aussie
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mobile phone / cell phone from oz

Hey Sam. Now we prebooked car but I don't think you really need to. We went with Avis but they all much the same. I think they all have GPS but you do have to pay extra for them but worth there weight in GOLD. We had a Garmin but they all do the same job. In San Fran we stayed in Fisherman's Wharf, that was our personal choice and I got a great deal on priceline staying at the Holiday Inn (not the express one) now in saying that, this was the only hotel that we got 2 queen beds in the one room, all the other priceline hotel booking were just one bed. So I'm not sure what I would do if I were you. Now with alcatraz I booked tickets online at www.alcatrazcruises.com ......Now with Disneyland we stayed at the Fairfield Inn. I think most places near disneyland overrated and expensive. With the fast passes at Disneyland, once you enter you are given another ticket and these are used to enter into the fastpass ticket machines then they spit out another ticket with return times on them, you can only get one of these at a time. We purchased Southern City Passes from travel agent before we left Perth. These get you into Disneyland and California Adventure Park for 3 days, universal studios, San Deigo Zoo and Seaworld and also include bus travel but you will have a car so this might not be best option. If you like you can email me at

komorowski@iprimus.com.au is no problems Im happy to help in anyway......Im even excited for you.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mobile phone / cell phone from oz

Hi Samoz68

I have been reading your forums again - it is interesting about alkatraz - I was told today by someone at work to pre-book my tickets there as 'agents' for a better word buy them all up and then sell them on - so getting tickets when you turn up is very difficult.

LA accomodation - we went with the Carosoul Inn because it was across the road from the park and we could go back for a rest when we wanted. It has a pool (most do) but you can see the fire works from the pool or the breakfast room. In addition they do have 'kids suits'. That is a small room of the main room that has been decorated for kids and they have their own tv. One thing I have heard through the reviews though is that the parents rooms are near the elevators but have a look at it (I'm packing earplugs just in case) http://www.carouselinnandsuites.com/ and see what you think.

cheers

Kiwi

perth Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: mobile phone / cell phone from oz

Hi tap dance, I tried to email you but in came back to me rejected.Anyway thanks for all your tips .

We Too are staying at the holiday inn fishermans wharf, whats it like there?

I booked it on priceline did what u said and got it for , a great price.

What about a city tour around san fran did u do one if so who did u go with?

I,am looking at doing the Mr toads at the moment takes 90 mins to go around the city in a vintage car , we want to just go on a tour to get the feel off the city etc etc, Then we can pick out the spots we will go back to visit on our own.

If I get a 3day hopper ticket for d/land i can use that any 3 days can,t I as I want to go every 2nd day, and do other sight seeing the other days in between like unversal studios , hollywood tour off celbs homes, walk of fame,hollywood sign, etc etc we are there 5 nights 6 days.

Well cant think off any things else let me know if there is somthing I missed that is a must do anywhere between san fran ,L.A, Canyon,and Vegas,

cheers tap dance

9. Re: mobile phone / cell phone from oz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 18:20