We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

american school holidays

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
american school holidays

Hi

Am I wrong in saying that the school holidays for the USA are from Memorial Day until Labour day? My second question - my husband keeps asking - why so long if the I am correct above?

Thanks

Cheers

Kiwi

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: american school holidays

Yes, you are wrong! Each state has its own holidays and dates for them. September 9, for example, is a holiday in California but not in any other state although many other states have the same cause for celebration.

The only USA-wide holidays are New Year's Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, ThanksGiving Day, and Christmas Day unless I've forgotten one or few.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: american school holidays

Hi Swingcha

So what are the summer school holiday times then?

I am confused - I realize each state will have some variation but what is the main time when you call school summer vacation?

cheers

Kiwi

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: american school holidays

the dates you stated generally apply to the farming states. the history behind these dates go back into the 1800's and has to do with the farm children needing to help plant the fields in spring and help with the harvest in the fall.

generally, for the rest of the states, summer vacation days, as they are often referred to, are from the middle of june until just after labor day. again, each state and each school district in that state will have their own dates. the actual time is adjusted for what, in most states, are called snow days... when it has snowed so hard that getting the kids to and from school is to dangerous.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: american school holidays

Over all the majority of districts in the states let out sometime after memorial day (we get out mid June) and go back around Labor Day. There are many districts that are going to a modified school year - shorter summer and more breaks throughout the year or are on year round schedules with different tracks - so it is almost impossible to figure out when they are off.

Peak vacation time though and crowds are definitely July & August.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
578 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: american school holidays

More and more schools around here are starting in late August, so some vacation places may start to settle down a week or two before Labor Day. Labor Day is the long weekend that includes the first Monday in September.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,238 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: american school holidays

The only thing you can count on for sure is what juxie said,JULY and AUGUST are the busiest vacation times during summer in the USA!!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: american school holidays

Hi PointLoman, Juxie, Webspinner And riffsmom

Thanks for the information - that helps explain a lot. We start our holiday at the beginning of June and are back home by mid July. So hopefully the weather will be kind and the crowds not too bad.

cheers

Kiwi

8. Re: american school holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 05:27