We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you know about Bodega Bay / Dillon Beach?

Madrid
Level Contributor
24 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Do you know about Bodega Bay / Dillon Beach?

Hi,

Has anyone been to Bodega Bay and/or Dillon Beach. Can you describe the area, and let us know if there are places to eat, shop etc.. at walking distance from the beach? Whatever you know about this place will be helpful.

We are thinking about renting 1 or 2 cabins o here this summer for 2 families with kids. Do you know any places to stay that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Level Contributor
36,672 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you know about Bodega Bay / Dillon Beach?

We have stayed at the Bodega Bay Lodge & Spa and loved it, this is a Woodside property with many nice amenities. Bodega Bay is a sleepy little town with lots of charm and gorgeous scenery. The Duck Club at the Bodega Bay Lodge is very nice for breakfast and dinner. Enjoy your trip! :)

Northern California
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you know about Bodega Bay / Dillon Beach?

I've camped at Dillon Beach many moons ago, and I don't recall much about the town. There are a number of decent vacation home rentals there that I recall, but I don't think there are many activities and restaurants, other than a beautiful coast.

Bodega Bay has some great vacation rentals at Bodega Harbor on the golf course, also many up and down the coast. Below is a link to a rental company that we've had some good luck with. There should be pics of the homes as well. Near the town of BB there are a number of very nice beaches, including Doran Park, which is a very short drive from Bodega Harbor. You might even have beach access from a Bodega Harbor home.

I would consider both Dillon Beach and Bodega Bay more of a relaxing place rather than an activity/fun vacation place. You might want to check the Bodega Bay/Dillon Beach forum as well.

http://www.bodegabayandbeyond.com/

Ojai, California
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you know about Bodega Bay / Dillon Beach?

Dillon Beach has a much more secluded aspect to it than Bodega Bay. Bodega offers more restaurants right in town.

Also, when you say beach, you understand that the beaches along the Sonoma Coast are not for swimming. They are beautiful and wild and the water will be cold.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,580 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you know about Bodega Bay / Dillon Beach?

There is actually no town at Dillon Beach, Perhaps one store. One restaurant, I think. We stopped by there a couple of months ago because I remembered day trips there with my family during my childhood. I was very disappointed. Nice beach, but your children would be bored out of their minds.

And, as said, Northern California beaches aren't really for swimming because they are so cold, but teenagers usually manage to do it and younger ones like to dip their toes in the waves.

There would be nothing for your kids to do. It is mostly vacation houses, and some of them pretty run down.

Bodega Bay has three or four restaurants, but none walkable from the beach. There are vacation rentals up the coast for a few miles and several State Beaches, but not within walking distance of the town of Bodega Bay. The shops in this fishing village are mainly seafood outlets and souvenir shops.

For what you are asking I would look into the village of Capitola, which is near Santa Cruz, on Monterey Bay, 2 hours south of San Francisco.

The village is charming and full of shops and restaurants and there is a beach right there.

Google "vacation rentals Capitola" and see what you can find.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=capitola+vacation+rentals

Or better yet, contact Bailey Properties vacation rental division and tell them what you are looking for.

http://www.baileyproperties.com/

I don't know of any properties in Santa Cruz itself which are near enough a beach where you could walk into town, but maybe they would.

Santa Cruz has a great attraction for kids, the 100-year old Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, which is one of the last old-fashioned amusement parks (NOT a theme park) on the Coast. It has an historic wooden roller coaster and carousel, lots of other rides, games of skill, and food. Admission is free. You pay for what you ride, play or eat.

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/

Let us know if you find the perfect place.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,580 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you know about Bodega Bay / Dillon Beach?

The Capitola vacation rentals link didn't take. I will try again, or just do that yourself...good luck.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=vacarion+rentals+capitola

canton, ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you know about Bodega Bay / Dillon Beach?

Just got back from staying at Dillon Beach. We rented

a house there and loved it. There were several

days of heavy fog, but it has a beauty all of its own.

There was a nice little cafe like place in Tomales,

great food, locals and staff were very pleasant, helpful. We saw many deer, and a bob cat at our house.

Beach beautiful, but difficult to get to unless you

access from campground.

7. Re: Do you know about Bodega Bay / Dillon Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 18:19