We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

Hello -

I recently paid a 50% deposit on a hotel room for September. I need to cancel my reservation and the innkeeper refuses to return the deposit - it's June. Well over 90 days advance notice here. Is this legal? Anyone know?

Thanks!

NILES- LA

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

You need to read the written refund policy for the specific property. Chuck...

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

Right - but does anyone know if there is a specific California LAW or CODE that prohibits hotels/inns from taking an unreasonable deposit for hotel accommodations?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

I doubt if you booked a "hotel" with a 50% deposit on the hotel web site. It sounds like a B&B. Each one has their own rules on how much you can get back depending on how far out you cancel etc. I have never heard of not getting money back that far in advance.

Why don't you try telling your credit card company about the problem. You might also tell us the name of the place as someone on here may know it.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

Don't know off hand, but this might help. It will take you some slogging through it, but I'd click on Business and Professions Code, then enter key words such as: lodging, deposit, innkeeper . . . something along those lines. Good luck :-)

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

com'on Niles!! this california!! sue'em!!

call legal aid there in los angeles.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

I agree with PTLomoman...sue the pants off um. Small claims court all the way!

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

Surely they have a "cancellation policy" that your read. What does it say?

If it says you can cancel 30, 60 or more days in advance and get a full refund, then you have a right to complain, and you should. But if it says the deposit is not refundable, it means what it says.

We often make prepaid, non-refundable reservations at ski resorts, knowing the consequences if we cancel. It is not all that unusual in some areas to have a non-refundable deposit.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

Depends on the hotel policy - we just had a hotel that had to be prepaid - no cancellations... some have a 30 day other 24 hours. As long as the cancellation policy was disclosed, you really have no argument for it.

9. Re: California Laws Regarding reservation deposits?? anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 22:16