We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

california itinerary

london
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
california itinerary

My husband and 1 year old baby are travelling for 2 weeks from san francisco down the coast to los angeles. We do not want to drive for much more than 2 hours at a time so would welcome some feedback on our proposed itinerary and also help with hotels.

Day 1 Arrive San francisco stay at mandarin oriental(this is meant to be in financial district so is it good for general sightseeing/shopping/eating etc?)

Day 2, 3, 4 Napa..stay at solage calistoga but someone told me sonoma is a nicer place to stay...maybe the fairmont instead?

Day 5, 6 back to san fran

Day 7, 8 Stay in monterey area (possibly bernadus lodge so that we get to stay in a winery but also near the beach - would welcome other suggestions ie is pacific grove nicer or carmel on sea itself a better place to stay)

Day 9 Possibly around morro bay or cambria no idea on hotel! can be anywhere 2 hours from above and below!

Day10,11, 12 really really wanted to stay at San Ysidro but this isn't available and not sure biltmore is that nice in comparison for the money...maybe there is another area that would be nicer to go to although liked the idea of a beach..?

Day 13, 14, 15 LA - probably Viceroy hotel - want to be on the beach and this looks nicer than shutters..but may be wrong - also may stay a night longer here and one night less in santa barbara..

anyway does this trip sound do-able and are there any other hotels i haven't come across in other areas that are worth looking at...would appreciate any suggestions!

Ferry Building Marketplace
Shopping Malls, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Third Street Promenade
Theatres, Shopping Malls, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: california itinerary

Hey the itinerary is looking good. No Yosemite, good call. Hotels in Cambria I reccomend the Fog Catcher inn, on moonstone beach, I have stayed here and it is beatiful, and nice clean rooms. there are a few others in the moonstone beach area. But it isn't the cheapest. San Ysidro ranch i don't know much about, but looks amazing if you are okay with the price. Also I like the Harbor View Inn, or Inn of the Spanish Garden really nice if available.

LA

Viceroy is good, but check into the Georgian hotel as well. Great rooms. Also Loews is close to the beach.

Finally for monterey area, I would suggest InterContinental The Clement Monterey right on historic cannery row. or Monterey Bay Inn which is right on the bay I believe Bernardus is in Carmel Valley, don't know much. Pleasent Journey to you.

london
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: california itinerary

Thanks again! Will look into those hotels too. We decided we wanted to see both SF and LA so the coastal route was really the best option. Can't wait!

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: california itinerary

It will put you a little over your 2-hour driving limit, but I suggest taking CA SR 1 from SF to Monterey.

I can't speak to any other hotels in Napa or Sonoma, but I just stayed a couple of nights at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa and was quite satisfied.

In my opinion, Sonoma is superior to Napa, as it's a quieter neighborhood.

Scotland
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: california itinerary

Hi! We are just back from CA - we travelled down the coast too and we stayed in the Inn at the Harbor in Santa Barbara which was lovely. Further south, south of cambria at san luis obispo we stayed at the Madonna Inn - great fun! Have a look at their website...each room is themed and you can request the one you want. They have a great restaurant and coffee shop with onsite bakery. From here you can take Highway 1 or US101 as they meet here.

Have a great trip =)

PS The Monterey Aquarium is a must! And Pacific Grove is beautiful

Scotland
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: california itinerary

Also, the ragged point inn (own website) near cambria was recommended to us but we couldn't get in.

6. Re: california itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 23:20