We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles / Las Vegas Round-Trip Driving Report

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles / Las Vegas Round-Trip Driving Report

I drove from LA to LV on a Sunday and returned on a Monday. Light traffic in each direction, leaving late morning both times.

Had a burger at the Apollo Restaurant. It's a nice little old-school burger joint. It's nice to give money to the locals, rather than some faceless corporation.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g33224-d5139…

Stopped at the Mad Greek in Baker for desert...a fresh strawberry shake in 104-degree heat. Delicious.

As always, the drive is spectacular...one of the great not-to-be-missed drives in America. The vistas in the Cronese Valley are unforgettable. As you drop into Baker, the Mojave National Preserve in on your right...WOW!

Out of Baker, the epic climb to Halloran Summit, then the expansive valley before Mountain Pass (another amazing spot). Then the drop into Primm, then on to Vegas.

Oddly, there are people who don't enjoy the natural beauty our state's deserts have to offer and suggest that people skip this drive. Hopefully, no one will take such narrow-minded advice. Plenty of people don't take their advice, and come back to rave about how much they enjoyed the drive...just as I'm doing.

I drove it each way on consecutive days and loved it. It's a privileged to see such breath-taking natural beauty that some people take for granted.

Amazing!

1. Re: Los Angeles / Las Vegas Round-Trip Driving Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 08:20