We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itenary

Manchester
Level Contributor
44 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itenary

Hi everyone

Me and my other half are planning our honeymoon and could do with a little help tweaking our itenary. We travel July/Aug 09

New york city - 4 nts

Flight to San Fransisco - 4 nts (we need help with this bit! - Would you recommend 3 or 4 nnts in San Fransisco?)

One night Napa Valley

5nnts to travel from Napa to LA (is this long enough?, should we cut down time in San Fran to have an extra night on this? Should we miss Napa Valley?)

Flight to Las Vegas - 3nts

Also, do we need to book our accommodation for travelling from Napa to LA in advance or could we just book into hotels as we go?

Many thanks

BB

Orange, California
Level Contributor
414 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itenary

first question, is are you wine drinkers? this is important, if you are then missing napa is not a huge deal. If you are wine drinkers, I would take one day out of SF and add one night to Napa.

It will take about 8 hours driving from Napa to L.A. on highway 5. A straight and boring drive through middle of CA. I suggest you head down to monterey, then take Highway 1 on the coast, it is an amazingly beautiful drive during the day. Also I would suggest if you can stay a night at Moonstone Beach in Cambria, you will not be dissapointed, This is where my wife and I stayed for our first honeymoon in Jan. Also a ton of wineries around this area. Cambria is a small coastal town, with great shops and food, and friendly people. Also Hearst Castle is near by. It is not like the castles in England, but pretty cool, and is part of US and California history.

After that you can go to Santa Barbara, LA, and Orange County. Just depends on what you want to do. If you have detailed questions, send me a private message and I will give all the help you need. Enjoy.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itenary

One night in Napa Valley is fine if you are not a serious wine enthusiast. I think New York deserves more time than San Francisco. Much as I like San Francisco, New York has at least twice as much to see. I think 2 nights in Las Vegas is enough. If you are coming down the coast, I think 2 nights (Monterey and Cambria) are sufficient. Yosemite Valley is worth 2 or 3 nights however (make reservations now for Yosemite Valley. Of course all recommendations depend on your personal interests. For example, if you want to see a great many shows, do a lot of gambling, or sit by a pool in very hot weather, then you might need more time in Vegas.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itenary

Are you skipping LA?

As mentioned, a night or two is enough in Napa, and then drive straight to LA. If you're thinking of going the coastal route, take 2 nights to stop - one in Carmel, one in Santa Barbara. I suggest at least 3 nights in Los Angeles.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itenary

Given that you're coming at the height of travel season, I'd suggest you book ahead if you plan to drive the coast between Napa and LA. That's a very popular route with travelers and there are some very nice spots that likely are reserved in advance.

However, if for some unlikely reason you choose to take the "fast" route -- I5 -- to LA, you won't need to book ahead as it's not really a tourist route.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
23,690 posts
5,363 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itenary

July and August are peak travel months. My take is the following:

San Francisco - 3 nights.

Napa - 2 nights (note: You can spend the morning in San Francisco, drive to Napa and enjoy dinner there that night and then enjoy a full day in Napa the next.)

Santa Cruz - 1 night

Big Sur - 1 night (on the trip from Santa Cruz to Big Sur, see Monterey (aquarium, fisherman wharf, 17 mile drive, Pt. Lobos, etc.).

Santa Barbara - 1 night

Los Angeles (not sure how many nights you have here?)

Las Vegas

I would book your lodging in advance...its peak tourist travel and best way to enjoy your vacation without having to drive aimlessly around and grumping - why is there no way to stay. I used to travel without booking in advance and have learned that it is so nice to know where one is staying for the night...in addition if you are arriving late, where to eat. If you want some help here, please do ask and let us know what you like and what price range you are looking for.

Enjoy planning your trip!

6. Re: Help with itenary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 08:18