We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California weather in December .... ???

New York, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
California weather in December .... ???

I have some time off in December and thought maybe to go to California do some sightseeing, etc .. I would probably be going to LA, San Francisco... also maybe Yosemite Park, Gran Canyon possibly Las Vegas as well --- what is the weather likely to be like in those areas in December?

What kind of clothes should I pack?

Going to the beach out of the question right???

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: California weather in December .... ???

How long do you have? You're planning a 14 days trip. You might need chains in Yosemite and GC will be freezing at night and you can encounter nice weather in LA.....

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: California weather in December .... ???

It's hard to characterize the weather in CA during any time of the year. CA has many different kinds of geography and many micro climates. The areas you listed are all located in different climate areas. I grew up in southern CA and at Christams we almost always sat outside on our deck in t-shirt and shorts. Our Christmas tree sat in the house drying out from the heat. It's usually in the 70s.

In Yosemite you should count on much colder weather including the possibility of snow.

In San Francisco if the sky is clear it will be chilly. It could also be rainy there.

While both LA and SF are coastal areas the weather patterns in each place are vastly different.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,434 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: California weather in December .... ???

Each place you list will be extremely different, weatherwise.

LA: might be warm, might be raining. Usually mild

SF: Chilly, cold.

Yosemite: snow (probably roads to get there will be closed)

Grand Canyon: most likely warm (this isn't CA, it's AZ)

Vegas: most likely warm (NV, not CA)

As noted above, this is a 14 day trip you're outlining, is that the amount of time you have? You'll need to pack for everything from lightweight for AZ and NV, to winter clothing for SF and possibly LA.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: California weather in December .... ???

Grand Canyon most likely warm Yogachik? In december at 7000 ft? -lol-

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
5. Re: California weather in December .... ???

Seeing as you're from New York, LA will feel warm to you, as will most of southern CA. SF will feel damp and maybe somewhat chilly. Yosemite, cold & maybe snowy; same for GC. LV cool to warmish during the day and coldish at night, very dry.

"Layers" is the key for dressing. Much of this depends on just what you're going to be doing. The beach? Yes, certainly warm enough to enjoy, but may be too chilly for actual swimming.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,434 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: California weather in December .... ???

Arizona would be warm (maybe), but not GC itself.

Plans for weather in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, perhaps even low 80s.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
7. Re: California weather in December .... ???

Vegas at night Will Be Chilly!

California from Zero to high 80's depending on where.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,702 posts
123 reviews
8. Re: California weather in December .... ???

yogachik ~ only the eastern entrance (Tioga Pass) will be closed in December in Yosemite.

Huge storms can temporarily close other roads, but most roads to Yosemite will NOT be closed. Badger Pass may be open by then for skiing & snowboarding. The Tioga Pass road & Tuolumne Meadows area will be closed, but the Park is open for visitors year round. Use Highway 41, 120, or 140.

Have fun planning this trip!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
9. Re: California weather in December .... ???

Hmmmm... would you say the Grand Canyon and Yosemite aren't as pretty in November- early December?

Is it better in Spring/Fall????

I want to go now because this is my vacation time slot form work =/ but if it will be ugly and I won't be able to see anythign then what's the point =/

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: California weather in December .... ???

Yosemite is beautiful year round. It has different features at different times of the year but it will always have the granite walls and domes, the green conifers and giant redwoods.