We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SBA to SFO Quaint towns? Quiet roads?

Level Contributor
260 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
SBA to SFO Quaint towns? Quiet roads?

Hello and thanks in advance. I'm planning a spring

trip basically into LA and out of SFO. I'm looking for

scenery, wine, pastoral settings. I'd like to hit

Ojai, Paso Robles, Carmel Valley. I'm not as interested in the ocean as I am in quaint towns,

farmland, history and hopefully less traffic.

Does such a route exist? Any suggestions would

be appreciated.

Level Contributor
260 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SBA to SFO Quaint towns? Quiet roads?

I'm thinking 2 nights Ojai, 3 nights Paso Robles,

2 nights Carmel Valley with stops along the way.

I also enjoy artist areas, markets etc but just

trying to avoid too much traffic and crowds.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SBA to SFO Quaint towns? Quiet roads?

Hi zhuzhu

There are some options for roads less traveled, but you will still find yourself using the freeway through some areas.

Try taking Highway 1 north from LA into Oxnard/Ventura. Take the 101 freeway north and look for the exit signs for Ojai. From Ojai, take Highway 150 toward Carpenteria/Santa Barbara and pick up the 101 to Highway 154. This route will take you to Santa Ynez, Solvang, Los Olivos. Look for the Foxen Canyon Road turn-off and turn right. This road will take you through vineyards and farmland. Stop at Foxen Winery for tasting. The road will continue through the small towns of Sisquoc and Garey.

When you reach Santa Maria, take Main Street (Highway 166 West) to Guadalupe and pick up Highway 1 into Pismo Beach. This route will take you through the farming community of Oceano. When you get into Pismo Beach, look for Hinds Ave and make a right turn. Continue on this road (it will turn into Price Canyon) to Highway 227. Make a left turn. This will put you into the heart of the Edna Valley wine region. Look for Biddle Ranch Road, make a right turn and proceed to the Edna Valley Winery. The views from this location are awesome! The tasting room's windows offer a full view of the vineyards to Islay Hill (a dormant volcano).

Head back to 227 and turn right toward San Luis Obispo. When you reach Marsh Street downtown, turn right and continue to Santa Rosa Street. Turn left. You are now on business Highway 1, which will take you through Morro Bay and Cayucos to Highway 46. Turn right on Highway 46 and you're on your way to Paso Robles. This route by-passes the 101 freeway, although that route will be faster than Highway 1.

From Paso Robles take the 101 freeway up to Greenfield. There's a remote road (G16 on the map) that heads west to Carmel Valley. I don't know what that road is like, but it will likely be less traveled.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SBA to SFO Quaint towns? Quiet roads?

The above recommendations are right on the money.

I have driven G16 from Greenfield to Carmel. From Greenfield to the G16/G17 junction, the road is called Elm Avenue. From the junction to several miles west, it is called Arroyo Seco Road. G16 then veers to the right and becomes Carmel Valley Road the rest of the way.

It is a pleasant and not-too-quick rural road with almost NO traffic. There is a charming 1-lane bridge just before the G16/G17 junction. The Carmel Valley Road portion between Arroyo Seco Road and Carmel Valley varies in width from 1.5 to 2 total lanes wide, so don't expect to drive more than 25 mph at any point. The entire roadway is paved, and there are no sheer cliffs or other scary bits.

Enjoy!

Level Contributor
260 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SBA to SFO Quaint towns? Quiet roads?

Awesome info---thanks so much! Do you think if

we concentrate on these inland areas, we will

have nice weather in April? I figure if it

rains we can always hit the wineries. Will

there be flowers in bloom?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SBA to SFO Quaint towns? Quiet roads?

We don't get a lot of rain in April, but it can be chilly. Bring layered clothing so you can be comfortable during your visit. Our hills should still be green and gorgeous at the time of your visit.

If it does rain, we some wonderful wine country in Paso Robles. You should see the west side wine region in the spring. Beautiful!

Have fun with your plans.

6. Re: SBA to SFO Quaint towns? Quiet roads?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 07:22