We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop and stay on CA coast

Ohio
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stop and stay on CA coast

I am planning a honeymoon for this coming July and need some help. We are flying to San Francisco and staying at Fisherman's Wharf for the first night. Then doing a day or two in Napa Valley (still don't know where to stay here) then driving down the coast to LA. We will have two nights to stop during the drive to LA and I need some suggestions on which places/cities would be the best. I appreciate anyone's help.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Napa Valley
Napa Valley
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stop and stay on CA coast

We like Monterey and Santa Barbara/Montecito. Check the forums for both cities here on Tripadvisor and you'll find plenty of hotel recommendations, restaurant recommendations and ideas for things to do.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Montecito
Montecito
California
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stop and stay on CA coast

Anywhere between Monterey and Cambria that has an ocean view would be nice. Do you plan on taking the 1 or the 101 down the coast? If you can arrange to be in San Luis Obispo on a Thursday you can cath their Farmers Market.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Ohio
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stop and stay on CA coast

Should I take highway 1 or 101?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
136 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stop and stay on CA coast

We did a similar tour for our first anniversary and have been to the places you mention other times as well. Here's what I have to recommend:

1. Walk across the Golden Gate bridge - it's very cool and romantic. Go listen to some live music the night you are there. Plenty of places near the wharf on the main street. Eat at North Beach Restaurant http://www.northbeachrestaurant.com/

2. Wine country - it's been a long time, but we especially enjoyed staying at a B&B in St. Helena which was a bit less busy than the nearby towns. Our favorite winery is Cakebread Cellars. Still have a bottle from that trip and it's 17 years ago.

3. Big Sur - some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere.

4. Santa Barbara - if it's reopened stay at: El Encanto http://www.elencantohotel.com gorgeous hotel up on the SB hill. Take in this lovely mission. Go out for a sail.

Just slow down enough to enjoy yourselves...

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,964 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stop and stay on CA coast

For your two nights on the coastal trip I would stay the first night in the Monterey area (see messages here on good lodgingsand sights to see) and the second night in Cambria in one of the lodgings on Moonstone Beach.

This gives you time to explore the Big Sur area. Search here for sights to see.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,416 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stop and stay on CA coast

Highway 1 is the scenic coastal route through Big Sur, while the 101 freeway takes you through cities and farmland.

I agree with Puter's suggestions of the Monterey Peninsula (I prefer a B&B in neighboring Pacific Grove) and Cambria.

The drive down the coast between SF and Cambria is some of the most beautiful scenery you will encounter in California. The drive south from there will offer less coastal views, especially after passing through Pismo Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Ohio
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stop and stay on CA coast

I really appreciate everyone's help!!!! Thanks so much

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stop and stay on CA coast

Even though I see that the helpful CA TA posters have already offered an abundance of wonderful suggestions, I thought I'd chime in as a fellow tourist (and fellow Buckeye!). My husband and I spent a week in SF/Monterey Bay area in October 18-25, 2008. Our itinerary included San Francisco (two nights in North Beach) and Sausalito with the remainder of the week exploring the coast with time spent in Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach, Carmel, Moss Landing, Point Lobos and Big Sur. You can read my daily narratives by searching the topic "SF/Monterey Bay Area First-Timers" in California forums.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Hamilton County, IN
Moss Landing
Moss Landing
California
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stop and stay on CA coast

If you'd like a romantic B&B, definitely take a look at Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove, designated by American Historic Inns as "one of the 10 most romantic inns in America."

We appreciated the abundance of amenities and the exemplary graciousness of all staff we encountered in our two days there, and its location on Ocean View Blvd. couldn't have been better.

10. Re: Where to stop and stay on CA coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 05:25