We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week vacation in California

Surrey
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
2 week vacation in California

Hi there

My family - husband, daughter (8), son (11) and i are planning a 2 week vacation in California 2nd and 3rd week in August. We are from the UK. My husband and I visited Tahoe and Yosemite before kids so this time we would like to spend time in Los Angeles (Disney, Universal, Hollywood) and then drive up the coast for the second week - at this stage we are thinking of staying in Carmel. We are flying back from San Francisco

Pls could anyone advise on a good hotel near to Disney/Universal. Don't need to be near coast as 2nd week will be more beach holiday - trying to keep to $250 dollars per night. I

We would also like to see whales if possible - any suggestions?

Also where is a good place for an overnight stay on the way up to Carmel - and is it possible to use Carmel as a base to visit San Francisco.

Many thanks for your help - we used a post on Tripadvisor to plan our vacation in New England last year and it was a great success.

Jill

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Carmel
Carmel
Hamilton County, IN
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week vacation in California

Dear Jillfern -

I will address the parts of your post that need some clarification.

For the Los Angeles portion of your trip, you may want to consider two locations - one for Disneyland and one for seeing the sights of Los Angeles (Hollywood, Universal, Santa Monica). The two locations are about 1.5 hours from each other with traffic.

Southern California is where you can have beach vacations in August. The farther south you go, the warmer weather you will have. The Laguna Beach area down to the San Diego area have nice beaches for the summer.

In Northern California (San Francisco down to Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur) in August are very foggy. These areas normally do not have swimming beaches, but in August in particular, they are full of coastal fog. They are wonderful places to visit, but will not be beach holiday locations.

Carmel is not an appropriate base to visit San Francisco. You should consider staying in San Francisco to see the City - otherwise there will be too much driving. With traffic, you could have a two hour drive each way from SF to Carmel.

I am not certain if you have your plane tickets yet, but I would consider flying into SF, spending 4-5 nights, driving down the coast and spending time in Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur, and then ending up with at least a week (or more) in Southern California for the warm beach weather, Disneyland and the beaches. That way, if the weather is too cold in Northern California, you can hightail it down to Southern California for the bulk of your trip.

I hope this is helpful.

AnnMV

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Carmel
Carmel
Hamilton County, IN
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Level Contributor
37,647 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week vacation in California

You may want to consider a stay in Monterey, the Monterey Plaza Hotel is very nice for families and you can walk to the Monterey Bay Aquarium from here. If it is out of our budget, consider the Best Western Monterey Beach Hotel, a fantastic choice for families, right on the ocean and just a short 5 minute drive to the wharf and downtown Monterey area. Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
California
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week vacation in California

OK, I Agree w/ the previous posts. Arrive in SF & Depart in LA ortherwise you will be driving too much.

Start off in SF. Awesome Town. Lots to Do. Consider Staying in Fishermans wharf area. Walking distance & Cable Car Access is Fun.

Carmel/Monterey is Good For a Couple of Days.

Wharf Area is Nice For Kids.

If You Want Beaches LA is Warm/Busy

You Could Stop at Pismo Beach (Halfway Between Monterey/LA)

You Would Like Sandcastle Inn at Pismo

Nice California Beach Town

Disneyland, You Have to Stay at one of the Disneyland Hotels.

I Like the Disneyland Grand Lodge.

Have Fun

Joe

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Carmel
Carmel
Hamilton County, IN
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Surrey
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week vacation in California

Thank you so much to all of you for taking the trouble to respond - your replies have been very helpful

5. Re: 2 week vacation in California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 06:21