We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip from LA to Texas

pux
england
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
road trip from LA to Texas

We are visiting the USA in early March and after a stay in LA we are driving to Houston for our flight back to the UK.Can anyone suggest a good route-we are planning on taking 7-9 days on the trip and are hoping to travel via flagstaff perhaps up into southern colorado,back down into new mexico,perhaps then to oklahoma city and then down to Houston.

We realise to cover the miles that some of the journey must be on interstate freeways but we would prefer to do a proportion of the trip on smaller more scenic roads with things to see along the way.

ANy suggestions?-we would be so greatful for your thoughts and ideas on route and nice places to stay along the way.We dont want to be too exhausted!!

thankyou,Pux

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip from LA to Texas

I'd sure suggest a stop at the Grand Canyon if you can fit it in.

Sounds like a fun trip, but I'm thinking you are trying to drive a very long way in a short period of time, and may not have time for much other than driving. Have you checked your distances on mapquest.com or similar website?

For a variety of helpful answers, you should also post in the different states along the way. Some contributors may have driven much of your route and will help with your itinerary.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip from LA to Texas

In Arizona: certainly Grand Canyon. Also Montezuma Castle (see www.nps.gov/moca ) Petrified Forest, Tombstone and Jerome (ghost towns).

In New Mexico: Taos (including the pueblo) also Carlsbad Caverns.

In Texas: San Antonio (Alamo and the river).

You would need a good road map to plan your trip as these attractions are really spread out. I never attempted to see them in one trip.

I would also try posting on the Arizona, New Mexico and Texas forums.

pux
england
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip from LA to Texas

Thankyou so much for your replies !What I would really like is a suggestion as to which route would allow the best overall experience.IE should we base our journey on the 40 or the 10 and take small side trips from these interstates-which would be the most interesting and /or scenic

thankyou so much,Pux

Lomita, CA
Level Contributor
620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip from LA to Texas

I'd take the 10 to Phoenix. Then up to Flagstaff via the 17. Stops along the 17 could include Montezumas Castle, Jerome, Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, and Tuzigoot National Monument before you get to Flagstaff. From there, a Must See stop is the Grand Canyon.

From there, the weather may play a big role in planning your drive. Chances are high that snow will be prevalent in northern New Mexico and Colorado, but I'll let the experts weigh in on that.

From the Grand Canyon, you could head east to Albuquerque. On the way, choices will include Wuptaki National Monument, Meteor Crater, the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert. Or go north to Mesa Verde, Durango and into southern Colorado.

South of Albuquerque, you might like to see Roswell. Also, you could go down to Carlsbad Caverns from there. North, you could visit Santa Fe and even head up to Colorado Springs.

What a potentially fabulous trip you have ahead of you! Happy planning!

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,452 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip from LA to Texas

If you've never been to Las Vegas, you might want to spend a day there. I've never been to Oklahoma City, but I'm pretty sure Las Vegas would be more interesting.

6. Re: road trip from LA to Texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 18:20