We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School vacation Dates - Christmas

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
School vacation Dates - Christmas

Hi all ... can anyone tell me when the Christmas / New Year vacation starts this year, for schools in California? We are visiting from Australia and want to make sure we get in to Disneyland before the vacation rush!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School vacation Dates - Christmas

Every district is different - some get 1 week, some 2. It is now winter break - not Christmas break as well which gives some flexibility.

One of the districts in Ventura County (Conejo) is out from Dec 19 through Jan 3.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,397 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School vacation Dates - Christmas

Every town,city makes its own decision about vacation dates for schools.

The only SURE thing is that the week from Xmas through New Years will be VERY busy! Many schools are also off the week before Xmas.

Unfortunately for you, people travel to Disneyland from all over the world so their holiday schedules matter as well!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School vacation Dates - Christmas

Former school teacher here. The December 19 to January 3 dates are pretty typical.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,397 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School vacation Dates - Christmas

Me too Puter, but here there are also year round schools with breaks through Jan.15 ish.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School vacation Dates - Christmas

When my middle school was on year-round schedule they still observed the middle of December to lst week in January winter break.

We had a lot of migrant worker's children and they usually went home to spend Christmas in Mexico, so we could not have tried to have school during those weeks.

As a matter of fact, they often did not return until the middle of January. <sigh> So much for education. I imagine this is an issue all over most of California these days.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School vacation Dates - Christmas

Oops, I see what you are saying. Some year-round schedules are organized so that the students don't come back until January 15?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School vacation Dates - Christmas

Thanks Everyone. I think we will do Disneyland in our first week (December 7) so we should be in and out before the holiday crowds - altohugh I know it will still be busy. Cheers!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,658 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School vacation Dates - Christmas

I'm a visual learner, and I love this graphic of Disneyland annual attendance: www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/atend.htm Of course it's just a rough estimate, but it looks like the week of Dec 7 is a great time to visit if you are trying to avoid the rush. Have a fabulous time!

9. Re: School vacation Dates - Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2009, 05:35