We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

Wales
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Road trip

Hi

This is my first post but I need some help please. I have flights booked to Las Vegas on the 31st July and leaving for home on the 20th August. My hubby and I would like to spend a week in las vegas but would also like to see the sights around california. We are hoping to hire a car and drive to san francisco for 2 nights via death valley/yosemite national park (We are not really outdoor type of people but would like to experience the views) maybe stopping at bishop?? Then from San Francisco drive the coast road to LA, maybe staying a night in carmel and santa barbara. We would like a couple of nights in LA to see hollywood etc and then go on to anaheim to visit disney before heading back to las vegas for a week. Any suggestions for our trip as I am getting really confused reading everything and trying to organise myself. Do you think this trip is "do" able? Anything you can think of to help me plan. My hubby thinks we should book hotels as we go along but I like to know where I'm going. Any advice would be gratefully recieved. Thanks and sorry if I'm a bit muddled.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,972 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip

This is a popular route, and you really should reserve accomodations in advance. In fact, Yosemite summer lodging books up a year ahead! But cancellations are common, so start hunting for the spots you want.

If you choose to stay outside Yosemite National Park, El Portal is close.

After leaving San Francisco, a night in Monterey or Carmel and a night in Cambria are common stops.

To find other threads with trips like yours, try putting "San Francisco Yosemite Las Vegas" or "SF Yosemite LV" in the California forum search bar above (all three places in one search.)

Happy Planning!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip

Don't know how much planning you have done so far but suggest you check out some mileages to see just how big California really is so that you know yourself if you are doing to many miles to give you time to enjoy yourselves.

Be prepared for some wild swings in temperatures too,Death Valley will be very,very hot while San Francisco can be pretty chilly.

Also if you plan to visit Alcatraz or Hearst Castle(both highly recommended) you should book in advance,enjoy!

scotland
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip

hi

we have been to las vegas 6 times (and we are not interested in gambling) we have always stayed 3 or 4 nights and have found 3 days a little short and 4 days just right - personally given the attractions in the area i think a week is too long - also hotels are much cheaper mid week

although its sort of in the wrong direction id say go to the grand canyon with the days you have saved - awesome just about begins to describe it

i make it you have 20 days in all so id go for

overnight in las vegas

2 nights at the grand canyon

back to las vegas for 3 nights

overnight in death valley

2 nights in yosemite

3 in san fran

overnight in carmel and santa barbara

3 nights in la

last night in las vegas

that only comes to 18 so you have 2 days to play with

you could add both to carmel or santa barbara and do a bit of relaxing

personally i would add one to yosemite - it is beautiful

id also advise on booking accom in advance - espevially in the parks (if there is anything available)

i usually draw up an accommodation budget and go over it for a treat some nights and make do with a cheaper motel other nights eg in san fran amd la you will be out seeing the sights all day so go cheap as you can

Wales
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip

Thanks for the replies. I've got loads to sort out before we go!!! Maybe I should have thought about it sooner.....

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip

There really is so much to see & do in California & it's neighbouring states,some planning helps a lot(if only for your next trips out there)!

6. Re: Road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2009, 05:35