We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we book car hire before we travel?

Southampton, England
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should we book car hire before we travel?

We are travelling to LA on Friday and were wondering whether to book car hire before we go and which option would be cheaper.

After talking to a friend who had been before she booked before she left but when she got there found she could of got a better car for less money but another friend who lives in Orlando said she had a bad experience booking after arrival.

I'm confused as to what would be best now, I really like the idea of hiring a mustang but the car hire companies I've emailed have said they can't guarantee the make and model of the car.

Can you just hire a car when you land and drive away straight away?

I haven't hired a car before so don't really know how it all works.

Thanks for your help.

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we book car hire before we travel?

Absolutely book in advance and try to get a confirmation that includes liability insurance and collision insurance. Avis and National probably have the best rates when booking from UK, but Budget and Hertz have more Mustangs.

Booking in advance, the companies are competing with others for your business and will have competitive rates. If you just show up at the counter last-minute, they figure that they have roped you in and will not offer you the greatest deal.

However, you have to BOOK in advance but you do not have to PAY in advance. When you arrive at the car counter, tell them what you want and ask them what the price will be including all fees and insurance. If they quote you something better than what you reserved in advance, grab it. If they don't, pull out your reservation confirmation and tell them you'd like the previous offer instead. In other words, you have nothing to lose by reserving in advance.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,243 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we book car hire before we travel?

In this computer age best prices/deals are found on line BEFORE you travel! Definitely book ahead. As just mentioned you don't have to PAY ahead.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we book car hire before we travel?

clubjeff is right, you can book a car in advance without paying anything ahead on time and you do not have to give them any credit card information. So, there is no reason not to book a car in advance. As clubjeff said, once you arrive you can shop around knowing that if you cannot find a better deal you have your reservation to fall back on.

Southampton, England
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we book car hire before we travel?

Thank you all for your advice, I'll get onto it now and fingers crossed for a mustang when we arrive, even if its just for a couple of days during the trip!

5. Re: Should we book car hire before we travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2010, 05:17