We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car insurance with Insurance4carhire or car company ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car insurance with Insurance4carhire or car company ?

Hi,

we are looking at getting a car with avis, hertz, or dollar car hires, If we are hire a car and then add on CDW/SLI which will come to aroud $900 US for 29 days ontop of the car hire.

Has anyone used Insurance4carhire when hiring a car in the US ? Have you claimed and how was the service ?

Being from australia we do not have over on our CC or local car insurance plans and I'm trying to see if we should take insurance with local car company or use the UK company ?

thanks

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car insurance with Insurance4carhire or car company ?

Insurance from rental car companies is a major ripoff. California has fairly strict laws that require disclosure that insurance is optional. That said you may get a rather "hard sell" at the rental counter since employees get extra comissions for successful upsells.

I would double check your CC...don't ask the issuing bank. Instead call Visa International, Master Card, etc. I found out I was covered when driving in Oz.

Check companies that do trip insurance; car excess insurance should be reasonably priced.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car insurance with Insurance4carhire or car company ?

Thanks for your reply... yes insurance with avis, budget or hertz is so much money !

the only people I can find who do it are http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

but I will call visa tomorrow and double check with them..

thanks again for your comments..

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,397 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car insurance with Insurance4carhire or car company ?

I think you need to ask Aussies specifically who they have used as our credit card coverage for car rentals here in the USA is different than yours.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car insurance with Insurance4carhire or car company ?

Also check what is covered by your travel insurance as most will cover the excess, but the amount covered varies.

Sometimes renting the car through a travel agent can work out better cost wise as most of the extra costs are covered. Have a look at driveaway also. I haven't used them but have heard good comments & will probably use them next year: http://www.driveaway.com.au/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car insurance with Insurance4carhire or car company ?

Thanks for the tips and web links ... yes good point asking some aussies...

thanks for all your help

6. Re: Rental Car insurance with Insurance4carhire or car company ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2010, 05:21