We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday in L.A. and San Francisco

ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday in L.A. and San Francisco

I am going to california for 18 days in august with my husband and 3 kids. We plan on spending 6 days in L.A. We want to spend maybe 2 days in disney, but I am looking for ideas for the other 4 days. Also we need accomodation (hopefully reasonably priced!). Would it be best to stay close to disney? we don't plan on hiring a car in L.A. We then plan on flying to san francisco and stay in the city for maybe 3-4 days. We need accomodation there also. Any ideas or hints would be greatly appreciated!!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,292 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday in L.A. and San Francisco

Start with the FAQs in the Los angeles Forums, at the top of the forum.

What do you consider reasonable for a hotel rate? What is your actual budget?

Disney is located in Anaheim, an hour from Los Angeles. It is a base only for Disneyland, not for LA itself. If you want to be at the beach (August is very hot), it is possible, but not easy, when on a budget. Look into places like Bayside Motel or Embassy Apartment Suites. With 5 of you, you will have to get two rooms, or stay at an all suite hotel, you can't have 5 in one room.

Will you have a car?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,663 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday in L.A. and San Francisco

For accommodations in San Francisco for a family, look at these....

http://www.grosvenorsuites.com/

Near Union Square and all kinds of transportation, restaurants, shopping, etc.

http://www.columbusmotorinn.com/

Walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf. Has family suites.

The next two are not in the center, but in the Marina District, you would need to take public transportation, but it is very good.

http://www.cowhollowmotorinn.com/

www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/sanfrancisco/del_sol

My idea for the "other 4 days" in Las Angeles would be to take at least one of those and add it to San Francisco. Your trip is heavily weighted to Southern California and after you visit San Francisco you may regret that. Much to do and see in San Francisco.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday in L.A. and San Francisco

How old are your kids? Also - what is your budget for hotels? In San Francisco we have had good luck with Columbus Motor Inn (their family suites)

Is there a reason you do not want a car? With a car I would suggest stopping at Yosemite on the way to San Francisco. Or to head down to San Diego. Maybe stay at one of the Orange County Beaches and enjoy some R&R?

Edited: 17 January 2010, 14:04
ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday in L.A. and San Francisco

Thanks everyone for your help. I am currently looking into accomodation for san francisco and I think we might go to yosemite for a few days. Is it possible to stay in the park itself?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday in L.A. and San Francisco

There are accomodations in Yosemite but they open for reservations 1 year in advance. While cancellations do occur, you need to be right on top of things to snag what you want. Cruise over to the Yosemite board and there are a number of threads with suggestions on how to get what you're looking for. Be prepared for perhaps having to tweak your itinerary around Yosemite room availability.

6. Re: Family holiday in L.A. and San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 08:16