We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving holiday budget

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving holiday budget

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I (both 25) are looking at travelling to the US early next year. I'm getting in early with the planning so we know how much to save. We're travelling from Australia so want to make it worth while and think we'll spend 3-4 months driving around the US probably from LA to New York.

What kind of daily budget would be realistic? We are happy to stay in hostels and basic accommodation as long as it's clean and will be spending some time in smaller towns/cities as well as the major tourist spots.

Any suggestions on cheaper (but still reliable) rental car companies or motel chains would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Ez

We want to rent a car

Dylan's Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Another Side Of San Diego Tours
City Tours, Segway Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
A Day in LA Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours
Streets of San Francisco Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,646 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving holiday budget

Welcome to TripAdvisor!

Try the Road Trips forum. Tet takes long trips like the one you're considering (tho' he's a bit older than you.) tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

You might also consider staying in State Park yurts or cabins or private campground cabins. That option isn't plentiful, but it's cheaper than some motels.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving holiday budget

Thanks for your help. Somehow I managed to miss the road trip forum.

Cheers

Ez

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving holiday budget

EZ- Yes, welcome! I highly recommend seeing the country by car. It's fast, versatile, and as you probably know our public transit grid is not very good outside of cities. Be aware one-way rental of a car will be very expensive especially with the beginning and end of the rental about 4500km apart! You might investigate renting a car in LA and drive all over the West Coast and possibly the Rocky Mountains. It can be a big loop if planned properly. Return the car to LA, then fly to NY and rent another car to explore the East.

The other idea is to purchase a reliable used car and sell it when your trip is done. That may turn out to be the best bet....due to our economy there's a glut of used cars and prices are good.

A standard tourist visa is good for 90 days so be sure to read up on what to do if you plan to stay longer. There's some time and expense involved so might as well get that started. Info on the US State Dept website.

Hope that helps, travel in the US is inexpensive by world standards, even more so if you plan things carefully and allow enough time to shop around....which you're doing!

4. Re: Driving holiday budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2010, 05:16