We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry another weather/what to pack question

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry another weather/what to pack question

Last year were visited in June with our itinerary being SF - Cambria - Santa Monica - Palm Springs - San Diego and after reading all the information on here about wearing layers/unpredictable weather in SF etc. took a wide range of clothes from jeans, light jumpers and a rain coat to shorts and vest tops.

This year we're travelling in August and our plan is San Diego - Las Vegas - Zion - Death Valley (not the best time to visit I know but I'm grateful for all the advice I've picked up on here) - Yosemite - Bodega Bay. Can I assume that all I'll need are warm weather clothes?

Many thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,632 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry another weather/what to pack question

I would still wear/bring a light jacket/sweatshirt/sweater(jumper to you I think?) shawl/pashmina on the plane. Nights and early mornings can be cool. Hotels/restaurants have aircon that make them cool as well. I also would always have one pair of slacks/jeans/leggings just in case.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,542 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry another weather/what to pack question

Assuming you're driving up 395 and into Yosemite via Tioga Pass, you'll be spending time at very high elevation. It could be 75 or 80 during the day or it could be 50 with snow flurries. I would always take a water resistant layer to Yosemite, something lightweight. Mornings can be a bit cool in Yosemite Valley as well; it's 4,000' elevation. I've also been chilly in Mendocino County along the coast in August ~ some foggy mornings.

I know a "light jumper" means a lightweight sweater, but could it also mean a lightweight polar fleece pullover or polar fleece zip front jacket? And what is a "vest top"? Is that like a fleece vest?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,632 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry another weather/what to pack question

I always find it interesting that we have to translate English /English into American /English?? I think a "vest top" is a sleeveless T shirt.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry another weather/what to pack question

Thanks for all the advice everyone :-) Yes we're planning to drive from Lee Vining via the Tioga Pass and into Yosemite and I'm now definitely planning on something warm/waterproof just in case.

I totally forgot about our word differences when typing this post (I usually remember my sweaters and sneakers :-) ). Yes a jumper is a sweater and a vest top a t-shirt without sleeves - what are they called in the US?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,542 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorry another weather/what to pack question

Sleeveless t-shirt.

The "vest top women" pictures I got from Google Images show what we might call a tank top or a spaghetti strap top. Google Images also shows a knit sweater vest and an "old man undershirt" (that's what we always called them) for "vest top men." My friend from India calls white t-shirts/undershirts "vests" but those have sleeves.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,632 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorry another weather/what to pack question

BTW, I have learned NOT to tell folks to bring "long pants" as they translate that as "long underwear"when I mean slacks.

Edited: 20 April 2010, 15:07
Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorry another weather/what to pack question

And of course we'd call "slacks" trousers - who'd have thought we all actually speak the same language :-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorry another weather/what to pack question

Bodega Bay will be cool in August as well -- perhaps in the 70s in the daytime. Could be morning and evening fog as well. Like being at the beach in SF.

I've gotten caught in the "long pants" conversation too :) And let's not start with those little packs that we hang around our waists.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,170 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorry another weather/what to pack question

Ramblin Sal--yes, those objects which must not be named (let alone worn in London)!

And I thought those sleeveless T's were "wifebeaters." :-)

You'll definitely get a better tan this year but the advice to prepare for some cooler weather is good.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,632 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorry another weather/what to pack question

I was wondering what a "wife beater" could possibly be?? I HATE that term and have only recently heard of it. Where have I been?