We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

? Hwy 5 from Mt View to Woodland Hills road trip with 91 YO

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
? Hwy 5 from Mt View to Woodland Hills road trip with 91 YO

Are there any nice pit-stops along this route for lunch or a visit? I may be taking my dear 91 year old aunt to visit her cousin in Woodland Hills for two nights and we could leasurely drive this route rather than the PCH, but would like to know if there is something we could see along the way, or a restaurant that we could stop? I only have 5 nights on the west coast so I want to make this memorable for her. Thanks!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,604 posts
5,811 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ? Hwy 5 from Mt View to Woodland Hills road trip with 91 YO

That is so very nice of you to take your aunt for a visit. Hope you have a nice trip. Highway 5 is very fast (its a commute route) and not that interesting.

Two places however we like to stop at are:

1) Split Pea Anderson in Gustine

yelp.com/biz/pea-soup-andersens-restaurant-g…

Split pea soup and other sandwich and meal options...

and

2) Harris Ranch for steak

http://www.harrisranch.com/index2.php

If you want more views - and more scenic trip, taking highway 101 is a nicer drive. Its easier than taking the Big Sur highway 1 stretch.....if that is the part of the PCH you are trying to avoid. Just another option.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ? Hwy 5 from Mt View to Woodland Hills road trip with 91 YO

Yes, I would opt for Highway 101 over I-5 any day. I-5 is dreadfully dull. While some portions of Highway 101 are also fairly boring, you at least get a few ocean views through Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara while traveling a 65/70 MPH highway that actually goes directly into Woodland Hills.

If you would like an ocean view while enjoying lunch, try Steamer's of Pismo or Marisol at The Cliffs Hotel (Both in the Pismo Beach area):

http://www.steamerspismobeach.com/

http://www.cliffsresort.com/dining/

Edited: 26 May 2010, 14:37
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ? Hwy 5 from Mt View to Woodland Hills road trip with 91 YO

Thank you both for the tips! We traveled 101 both ways and enjoyed our ocean glimpses and road stands for garlic, strawberries, and cherries! It went right in to Woodland Hills without a hitch! We took our time and the options for "potty breaks" were plentiful! Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ? Hwy 5 from Mt View to Woodland Hills road trip with 91 YO

Thank you for reporting back. I am SO glad you did not take I 5 and had a nice trip.

I 5 has huge trucks hugging your backside and it is boring, boring, boring.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,575 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ? Hwy 5 from Mt View to Woodland Hills road trip with 91 YO

Good to hear you accepted our advice and had a pleasant trip. It really was the most logical route for getting to Woodland Hills. Thanks you letting us know your choice and how well it worked out for you. Good memories for both of you.

6. Re: ? Hwy 5 from Mt View to Woodland Hills road trip with 91 YO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2010, 07:18