We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hollywood to san diego

County Mayo, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
hollywood to san diego

guys im hitting hollywood and san diego in about three weeks and will spend a week in each, im just wondering about travling between the two. i think theres a train but is it a long journey or am i better to get an internal flight?? (which seem expensive .) also is public transport good or am i better to rent a car for the time im there ill be trying to hit the beach and catch a wave while im over there.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hollywood to san diego

Train is fine. Take the subway www.metro.net/around/rail/red-line/ from Hollywood to Los Angeles Union Station, then Amtrak www.amtrak.com to San Diego. Some nice coastal scenery in a few places, sit on the right side of the car, facing the way the train is going. San Diego has good public transportation, especially if you stay downtown also an on and off tour bus called "Old Town Trolley" I personally prefer a car, but it is not absolutely necessary.

Edited: 22 June 2010, 03:05
County Mayo, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hollywood to san diego

thanks for that . very helpful

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hollywood to san diego

The Amtrak Pacific Surfliner train mentioned above is the best bet between LA and San Diego on public transportation. As you noticed, flying between the two cities is really expensive and you'll only save an hour or two by the time all is said and done.

Earth
Level Contributor
313 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hollywood to san diego

amtrak to san diego is about 3hrs. according to my dad (who loves trains) it is pretty comfortable, definitely more leg room than a plane and there's apparently free wifi! :) it is only $35 per way, add $28 for business class if you want service.

flight is only a out 45 min but you'll have to add 1-2 hrs of check-in time etc. i'd say you're better off taking the train.

Edited: 22 June 2010, 22:09
County Mayo, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hollywood to san diego

thanks soj0urner et al. very helpful ye have convinced me.

6. Re: hollywood to san diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 08:22