We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need somewhere to stay between Portland and Napa

Vancouver Island...
3 posts
Save Topic
Need somewhere to stay between Portland and Napa

I'm doing a honeymoon road trip from Vancouver Island to San Francisco and will drive down the I-5 to get down to San Francisco. I need an idea for a nice spot to stay between Portland and Napa. Willing to camp or stay in a hotel.

Thanks!

Vancouver Island...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need somewhere to stay between Portland and Napa

and to clarify this will be at the end of august. thanks!

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need somewhere to stay between Portland and Napa

If you go back up I-5 Ashland, Oregon, where the Shakespeare Festival is. It's a cute little town even if you don't see a play (though you should).

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,920 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need somewhere to stay between Portland and Napa

I've driven this section of I-5 several times, and my priority has never been a "nice spot to stay" but rather a convenient spot to stay. There are many many decent traveler motels along this route. Find one with a pool for an evening swim (August will be hot in Northern California.)

My dad has always like The Riverside Inn http://riverside-inn.com in Medford for its riverfront views, but that is too close to Portland.

The entire drive is something like 10.5 hours. Stopping in Redding is only a seven hour drive from Portland. Williams is a nice little town. Maybe you can make it all the way to Vacaville. How long can you sit in a car, knowing that every mile you drive gets you closer to your desired destination?

Level Contributor
36,202 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need somewhere to stay between Portland and Napa

The Riverside Inn is in Grant's Pass. We have stayed there many, many times. As much as I like the place, you can do better since it is a honeymoon getaway. I would check out the Weasku Inn in Grant's Pass. We have stayed twice in the river cabins, there. This is a very nice property with alot of charm and history. The cabins have river rock fireplaces, very nice bathrooms and there are spacious grounds for relaxing in Adirondack chairs, and you can walk down to the Rogue River, also.

Ashland is another consideration, we like the Plaza Inn & Suites, there, try to book a spa suite, they are very nice. You can walk to all the restaurants and plays from this property. Another place we love in Ashland is the Ashland Springs Hotel, a historic property right in downtown Ashland.

Chateaulin, Peerless, Winchester Inn, Lark's and Amuse are all great places to dine in this area. Enjoy your trip! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need somewhere to stay between Portland and Napa

Since Portland to Napa is less than a 10-hour drive, I'd be tempted to do the whole thing in one day. We've done it many times. Seems a little silly to overnight in Ashland (sillier yet in Grants Pass), which is only 4.5 hours from Portland, unless you get a late start. And there's really nothing honeymoon nice between Ashland and Napa.

So, if you do decide to break it up into two days, consider doing a coastal route, especially if you've not seen Oregon's southern coast and/or the giant redwoods. Another thought would be to take I-5, but do a detour up to, and take a spin around Crater Lake, in which case Ashland would make better sense. So would Crater Lake Lodge, if you were lucky enough to get a reservation.

Edited: 05 August 2010, 22:48
California
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need somewhere to stay between Portland and Napa

For your honeymoon, I would suggest a stop at Bonneville Hot Springs Resort & Spa - 35 miles from Portland, OR. Get a room with a hot tub on the balcony so you can enjoy the hot spring water in privacy.

http://bonnevilleresort.com/maps.htm

California
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need somewhere to stay between Portland and Napa

For your honeymoon, I would suggest a stop at Bonneville Hot Springs Resort & Spa - 35 miles from Portland, OR. Get a room with a hot tub on the balcony so you can enjoy the hot spring water in privacy.

http://bonnevilleresort.com/maps.htm

8. Re: Need somewhere to stay between Portland and Napa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2011, 05:16