We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise needed for 2 weeks holiday to West Coast California

england
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Advise needed for 2 weeks holiday to West Coast California

Hi, we are a family of 4 (2 adults 2 children of 15 & 12) and are looking into possibly going to California either at end of July for 2 weeks or sometime during August. We would like to start In San Francisco (5 nights), drive to Monterey (2 nights), then onto Pismo (2 nights) and finally Santa Barbara (5 nights). We would fly home from LA. As it is a long drive from Monterey to Pismo, we thought that we could maybe get an early start and break for lunch at San Simeon.

I would be grateful for:

1. Comments on our schedule - does it sound reasonable?

2. Hotel recommendations - we would prefer a separate sleeping area from the children but can't really afford 2 separate rooms - do any hotels do reasonably priced family units?

3. Laundry - as we will be driving, we don't want to take to much luggage but haven't found any Hotels that either offer apartment style accom with washing machine or have a laundry facility that we could use.

Thanks for any advise

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,431 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise needed for 2 weeks holiday to West Coast California

When I read "As it is a long drive from Monterey to Pismo" I thought, this must be a visitor from the UK. The visitors from Australia want to travel 400 miles a day and think nothing of long distances (bypassing gorgeous stops), and UK visitors want to take an overnight stop for a four hour drive.

The Hwy 1 section of your 150 mile drive from Monterey to Pismo Beach (or where ever you end up staying) is absolutely lovely and worthy of savoring. Stop often. Enjoy the beautiful scenery. Stop for a picnic lunch.

As far as laundry, just go to a laundromat. This business will contain 10-40 washers and the same number of dryers. The machines will probably run on quarters, but some places have a fee ticket system. Expect to pay $4 to $6 per load. Don't worry about finding a washer & dryer at your motel, but if you want them there, I'm sure folks can recommend places with facilities. Unfortunately, the motel will probably have only 2 or 3 machines, so you might be waiting your turn in the heavy tourist season of July/August.

This sounds like lots of time to savor the coast. I assume that you don't mind coastal fog and cool temperatures.

My suggestion for the itinerary is to put one more night in Monterey. I think two nights isn't enough, especially as you plan to leave early in the morning on your last day.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise needed for 2 weeks holiday to West Coast California

1. Your schedule shows v. reasonable, as suugested I would maybe consider an extra night in Monterey, but you should be fine with 2. I would not miss Hearst Castle, in San Simeon -- this castle more manison is amazing, but I wouldn't want to rush the drive down Big Sur, to make it in time for a tour, instead I would stay in the San Simeon area, i.e Cambria, and do a morning/afternoon tour, before continuing onto Pismo Beach, only a furthur 1hr down.

2. How much are you looking to spend a night? $200 etc...

3. Most hotels have laundry facitlties, otherwise there are laundromat

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise needed for 2 weeks holiday to West Coast California

I like Santa Barbara, but I'm not sure I'd spent 5 days there. It's got great beaches and a wonderful downtown, but 5 days might get long. You might spend 3 days in Santa Barbara and 2 days in LA, which would also have the advantage of not having to drive there the day you fly home. It would only be a taste of LA, but it would be something.

I think you're wise for going to places that are, by California standards, relatively close together, and not giving yourself long drives.

You can go to laundromats or, at least in larger cities, wash and fold laundries where you drop off the laundry and they wash them. More expensive than doing it yourself at a laundromat, but much cheaper than having the hotel do it, or doing it as dry cleaning.

4. Re: Advise needed for 2 weeks holiday to West Coast California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 06:42