We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 3 Week Road Trip with 2 children (11 & 6)

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 3 Week Road Trip with 2 children (11 & 6)

I am just starting to research a 21 day road trip to California for August 2012. Initial thoughts are San Fran to LA with stops along the way. Disney is a must for the kids as well as Yosemite. Any ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated to help make this a trip of a lifetime. We also want to include some relaxation time by the beach as well as shopping. I look forward to reading your suggestions or pin pointing any articles / books I should read to help me plan the trip.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 3 Week Road Trip with 2 children (11 & 6)

Hi, Sounds like a great trip! You can start collecting info by looking on the right side of this page under Top Questions. You'll see articles about driving from LA to San Francisco and about the towns in between and stops you can make.

You can go to the Yosemite forum for specific info there. I know that folks often make reservations there 1 year in advance.

Disneyland specific info can be found on the Anaheim forum.

3 weeks will give you a chance to see a lot and also to relax.

Others will be on here to give you many more details but I just thought I'd stop in to start you off.

By the way, when you are ready to discuss acommodations we will need to know your budget in dollars.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
80 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 3 Week Road Trip with 2 children (11 & 6)

I'd look at flying into one city and out of the other. For example; Flying in SF and out of LA.

San Francisco 4 nights > Yosemite 3 nights > Monterey 2 nights > Pismo Beach 1 night > Los Angeles 4 nights > Anaheim 4 nights.

Then you've still got another 3 nights to play with, maybe you could visit San Diego or somewhere in Orange County [Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach etc..] for your beach time.

Reading the FAQ's on each destination forum is a must, as is the top questions on the right hand side, and the Travel Guide section on the left.

A good guide book, to get your head around everything.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
3. Re: Planning 3 Week Road Trip with 2 children (11 & 6)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 09:15