We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which scenic drive has more to do??

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which scenic drive has more to do??

Hi Y'all!

I've cut this trip into two drives...

The first one from Cresent Bay to Leggett (where the 101 meets the 1 South of Humboldt Redwoods State Park)

Then from Leggett to Bodega Bay via Hwy 1 through Mendocino.

So the first drive involves a lot of Redwoods, coast and nature,

The second one seems to be more of the winding slow drive on the coast with stops on the way.

From what I can tell, the first drive has more potential side trips with stops in places like Trinidad, Eureka and Ferndale as well as the parks: Del Norte, Klamath (where I've heard you might see Elk) Prairie Creek, Patricks Point... possibilites for short hikes, bike rides and visitors centers.

From Leggett and especially from Mendocino down to Bodega Bay looks like it will be a very beautiful and stunning drive, (like Big Sur?) and Salt Point State Park really looks interesting... but it looks to be more of the "scenic drive" with fewer stops that could potentially take up a lot of time?

I'm just hoping for some clarity, because we'll be making one overnight, and I'm thinking of staying over in Ferndale or Fortuna, and make the following day the longer "driving day" including driving through the Avenue of the Giants and of course Hwy 1.

We wont however, want to be driving Hwy 1 after dark so if we don't make it as far as Bodega, we'll have alternate routes to turn inland to the San Rafael area where we plan to stay at a motel.

Any thought would surely be appreciated!

Thanks so much!!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which scenic drive has more to do??

Crescent City ;-)

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which scenic drive has more to do??

Yup, I'm actually sitting here overwhelmed with the possibilities around there as I scour the net! :-)

Me thinks I'll book us a place in Ferndale then! Wheeeee!!!!

Thanks for confirming what I was suspecting!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which scenic drive has more to do??

From Leggett to Bodega Bay is not just winding coast. From Mendocino to Jenner is beautiful, and there are small towns to stop in.

Gualala is a small arts colony with a very interesting Ars Center and some galleries in town. The Four Eyed Frog Bookstore is very interesting, and run by two brothers who know more about books than I will ever learn.

You will drive through Sea Ranch, a 10-mile-long development of the 1960's by Castle and Cooke which has a unique configuration with houses of almost the same type of architecture in loose clusters with the rest of the land designated as open space. There is a lodge at the southern end of this which has a good restaurant if it happens to be lunch time. Also a very interesting shop.

http://www.thecoastalrealestatecompany.com/

Salt Point State Park is a good place to do some walking..and exploring the coast.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=453

Do Stop at the Timber Cove Inn, if just for a look at the architecture and the incredible views. I would suggest a walk out on the bluff to watch the waves crash on the rocks. This was a favorite haunt of Ansel Adams. His photographs of the area used to be displayed in the Inn...I do not know if that is still the case.

http://tinyurl.com/644n8yu

This would make a great overnight. Better than Bodega Bay or San Rafael.

Three miles south of there is Fort Ross State Historical Park, which, if open, is worth a stop. This is where the Russians had an otter fur trading outpost in the early 1800's to protect their interests in the New World. The fort has been restored and has a lovely Russian Orthodox chapel which is a real photo op.

http://www.fortrossstatepark.org/

There are eight miles between here and Jenner which rival the Big Sur Coast. the road winds high on the cliffs and down into the coves with incredible views. There are a lot of turnouts and the road is well engineered with guard rails, etc.

Jenner is the first place you can turn inland on this route. It is about 30 miles or so to Hwy 101 in Santa Rosa. Or you can go on the 10 miles to Bodega Bay and meet Hwy 101 at Petaluma, about the same distance.

I hope this fills in some blanks for you. Have a nice trip.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which scenic drive has more to do??

If you want charming, off the highway lodging, Ferndale is a far better choice than Fortuna. Fortuna does have a good brewpub though called Eel River... tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32404-d11…

5. Re: Which scenic drive has more to do??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 17:19