We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip cancellation

ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
trip cancellation

Is it standard in the travel industry to overbook tours?

is there any recourse to recover the cost of the travel protection(stated as nonrefundable) when the company cancels you because they overbooked the tour?

It seems a conflict of interest since the tour company advertised and sold the insurance.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip cancellation

Did you buy the insurance?

ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip cancellation

yes I bought the insurance after the advertising on the brochures and emails from the company urging me to buy. the payment was to the tour company on their invoice for my tour.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip cancellation

The tour company should absolutely refund your insurance premium! If they refuse, I'd report them to the Better Business Authority and take them to small claims court!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip cancellation

The usual advice is to buy trip insurance but *NOT* from the tour company. If they go out of business you are out of luck.

We always buy trip insurance. Depending upon the coverage you want, it is not that expensive and certainly worth it if the tour company cancels. Also, if we are going to a location where we might have a possibility of an accident we buy insurance to cover evacuation to the US. Just an example.

There are several reliable companies. We have used three of them. The only name I can remember this moment is Travel Guard.

Go to insuremytrip.com which lists several companies and helps you compare their features.

I doubt if you will get your premium back. It sounds as if the insurance company used by the tour company paid the cost of your tour and you are not out any money, (except for the insurance premium) is that correct? If so, the premium is the cost of having the protection.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,697 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip cancellation

I have heard of airlines overbooking but I have never heard of tour companies overbooking. Can you tell us the name of the company/??

It sounds strange.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip cancellation

If you purchased the insurance on a credit card, I would try disputing it with the card company. Might work esp. if you have something in writing that states the trip was cancelled due to overbooking.

ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip cancellation

vantage tour

I didn't use my credit card as they offered a discount and promise of no fuel surcharge if check. now I know why.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
590 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip cancellation

If a letter demanding the return of the premium doesn't work, I would go to small claims court. The premium should be returned because there was no trip to insure. They cancelled and should, at least, return everything they received.

9. Re: trip cancellation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 07:17