We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambria or Pismo?

Level Contributor
416 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cambria or Pismo?

My husband and I, both in our 50's, are visiting Calif. the first week in November. We will be traveling along the coast from Carmel to San Diego for about a week. Right now our plan is to stay 1 night in Carmel (we have been there before), 2 nights in Cambria, 2 nights in Pismo, and ending in San Diego to meet friends for 3 nights. I am now thinking I would like to spend a day or two in Santa Barbara. I'm also thinking I could probably cut out either Cambria or Pismo. Question is which one. I have never been south of Carmel. We would like to take our time along Big Sur and want to see Hearst Castle. Possibly SLO. Any ideas would be welcome!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambria or Pismo?

Stay in Cambria, cut out Pismo and add it to Santa Barbara. Cambria to Santa Barbara is a little over 2 hour drive, so you can easily visit SLO and Pismo on the drive down.

By keeping Cambria in your plans, you would have ample time for the drive along the Big Sur coast & you could do a Hearst tour the next day.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,774 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambria or Pismo?

I agree - Cambria would be best for your itinerary. I like both towns, but Cambria is more convinient and I think it is more charming than Pismo Beach. And you can stop for awhile at Pismo Beach on the way to Santa Barbara.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,859 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambria or Pismo?

I'd spend one night in Cambria and then one night in Pismo.

You are probably spending one full day driving from Big Sur to Cambria or San Simeon and want to tour Hearst Castle the next morning. After touring the castle in the morning, you could then go visit Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo and then spend the night in Pismo/Shell Beach. Between Pismo and Shell Beach, there are a number of hotels with outstanding ocean views (much better than Cambria, imo) and there are several really fun restaurants here.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambria or Pismo?

If you go to SLO, Pismo is only 10 min south while Cambria is 40 min north. If you spend that night in Cambria you will have to retrace the previous day's drive. I think I would just stay the night in Pismo and continue on my way the following day.

You could take your time coming south along Big Sur, tour Hearst Castle, & stay in Cambria. The following day you could head over to SLO maybe hitting a few tasting rooms along the way. Spend a day there and stay that night in Pismo before heading south to Santa Barbara. If you do stay a night in Pismo and are looking for evening entertainment I recommend the Great American Melodrama in Oceano, about 15 min south of Pismo. It's live entertainment and a lot of fun. .

5. Re: Cambria or Pismo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 20:19
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question