We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Coastal Highway 1

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Pacific Coastal Highway 1

We plan to take a drive down highway 1. My intention is to drive from Yosemite across to the Carmel area to start the drive down to Santa Monica area. We will have 3-4 days to play with in late summer 2012

I would like to play a couple of rounds of golf at a reasonable price courses on the trip if possible.

Are there any non budget blowing (upto $250 a night) hotels/inns on route that have sea views.

Also any recommended 2-3 mile hikes on route would be helpful

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Coastal Highway 1

Hello, Alshepuk, and welcome to the California forum.

I'm confused: is your entire length of vacation with us 3 to 4 days? Or do you have 3 to 4 days to travel on Pacific Coast Highway? Yosemite National Park, a round of golf, Pacific Coast Highway, and Santa Monica is a minimum of four days right there. . . and it's rushed to say the least.

Pebble Beach is a private golf course north of Carmel on 17 Mile Drive. Very expensive. I would recommend Los Angeles metro for your golfing instead.

A hotel search may be done by perusing the search function information box at the top right hand corner of the page. I'd enter Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel in the info box like this: "Carmel, California hotels" - then click "Search" and see what you can find here on TripAdvisor. Less than $250 with an ocean view will be hard to get, imho. This part of the coast is very pricey. San Simeon, Cambria, and Pismo Beach are more reasonable pricewise and to the south of the PCH scenic drive.

McWay Falls is a great one mile round trip hike to a beautiful waterfall that comes down into a cove. You'll love it. There's many other hikes around, but that's a start.

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Coast Highway
Pacific Coast Highway
1,441 Reviews
California
McWay Falls
McWay Falls
975 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Pebble Beach
Pebble Beach
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
San Simeon
San Simeon
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Coastal Highway 1

Sorry for the confusion its 3-4 just for the Highway 1 part of our trip.

At the moment we have

2 days/3 nights San Francisco

2 days/2 nights Yosemite

1 days/1 nights Kings Canyon

3-4 days and nights Carmel - Santa Barbara

4 nights Las Vegas

I need to do a lot of research to make the most of the time on the Wst Coast. If need be we will cut Vegas by a day.

I am also not sure to spend a bit more time in Yosemite and miss out Kings Canyon

Mentioned in this post
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
797 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Coastal Highway 1

If you go to golfnow.com you can get discounted rates at some golf courses. Please note I have never used this site and cannot vouch for them. You can also buy a Golf Digest Tee Time card from Costco which promises savings at many different courses.

I haven't golfed in the Carmel area but I know there are some very nice courses there. Several of my frineds have golfed Poppy Hills and said it is nice. It is also affordable. There are a few nice courses further south in the central coast area. Hope this helps. Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,378 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Coastal Highway 1

There are few ocean view hotels/inns in Carmel, but the Best Western Beach Resort in Monterey is a nice hotel property right on the beach and just a short drive to Monterey and Carmel's sights. The ocean is very "vocal" there and makes for a pleasant stay.

There are also a few B&B's in neighboring Pacific Grove that might have rooms in your price range. Look at the Green Gables Inn on Ocean View Blvd. The Sandpiper Room, Jennifer's Room and few others with shared bath have ocean views and the inn is right across the street from Monterey Bay with gorgeous views (breakfast and afternoon snacks included). Also check out Martine Inn, Gosby House Inn and Old St. Angela Inn. Pacific Grove Golf Links is a VERY affordable golf course overlooking Monterey Bay.

As you continue down the coast check out lodgings in Cambria near Hearst Castle. Castle Inn is one of the least expensive ocean view options in Cambria. Some of the other inns along Moonstone Beach drive have rooms with partial views that may fall in your price range. These include Fog Catcher Inn, Pelican Cove Inn, Best Western Fireside Inn, Blue Dolphin Inn. Golf: Morro Bay Golf Course, Sea Pines Golf Course (Los Osos, which is just south of Morro Bay).

Pismo Beach: Kon Tiki Inn, Cottage Inn (partial view), Sea Gypsy.

Don't know about Santa Barbara. Suggest you post a question in that forum about lodging if you want to stay there.

Edited: 27 October 2011, 00:35
Mentioned in this post
Pelican Cove Inn
Pelican Cove Inn
168 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
The Old St. Angela Inn
The Old St. Angela Inn
209 Reviews
Pacific Grove, CA
Blue Dolphin Inn
Blue Dolphin Inn
907 Reviews
Cambria, CA
Kon Tiki Inn
Kon Tiki Inn
776 Reviews
Pismo Beach, CA
Martine Inn
Martine Inn
474 Reviews
Pacific Grove, CA
Sandpiper Lodge
Sandpiper Lodge
609 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
Sea Gypsy Motel
Sea Gypsy Motel
163 Reviews
Pismo Beach, CA
Inn & Suites At Discovery Kingdom
Inn & Suites At...
483 Reviews
Vallejo, CA
Monterey Bay
Monterey Bay
2,441 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Pebble Beach Golf Links
Pebble Beach Golf Links
670 Reviews
Pebble Beach, CA
Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle
5,874 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
Moonstone Beach
Moonstone Beach
1,455 Reviews
Cambria, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
Los Osos
Los Osos
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
25 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Coastal Highway 1

Yes, I can also recommend the Pelican Cove Inn in Cambria. That's a good suggestion. We stayed there, it was inexpensive, lots of free extras included in the room rate, and in the morning you walk right out to walk along by the ocean:

pacific-coast-highway-travel.com/Pelican_Cov…

Mentioned in this post
Pelican Cove Inn
Pelican Cove Inn
168 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
Cambria
Cambria
Level Contributor
37,559 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific Coastal Highway 1

There is a course in Pebble Beach called Peter Haye, I believe we paid around $30/pp for unlimited play. It is a short course but it is very nice with beautiful views.

We have also enjoyed stays at Pelican Cove Inn in Cambria on Moonstone Beach Drive. You will have across the street from the ocean. Fireside Inn and Blue Whale Inn are also nice ones on Moonstone Beach Drive.

Enjoy your travels! :)

Mentioned in this post
Pelican Cove Inn
Pelican Cove Inn
168 Reviews
Carlsbad, CA
Inn & Suites At Discovery Kingdom
Inn & Suites At...
483 Reviews
Vallejo, CA
Moonstone Beach
Moonstone Beach
1,455 Reviews
Cambria, CA
San Francisco Whale Tours
San Francisco Whale Tours
1,191 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Pebble Beach
Pebble Beach
Monterey County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific Coastal Highway 1

I doubt Peter Hay is what you have in mind. It's a 9-hole, par 3 course. If Pebble, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay aren't in the budget, next best I think is the mentioned Poppy Hills. But it ain't cheap either; around $200. Another one to consider would be Del Monte, which is less expensive yet.

Mentioned in this post
Spyglass Inn
Spyglass Inn
936 Reviews
Pismo Beach, CA
Del Monte Beach
Del Monte Beach
80 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pacific Coastal Highway 1

Poppy Hills is one of several courses in the Monterey area listed on the golfnow.com website. The rates listed for this weekend are $75-$85 (not including cart). As I mentioned earlier I have never used this site and can't vouch for it. You might ask about golf courses on the Monterey forum to get better info from the locals.

There are some nice courses further south too. Cypress Ridge in Arroyo Grande, Black Lake & Monarch Dunes in Nipomo, Hunter Ranch in Paso Robles, & Avila Golf Course in Avila Beach. These are nice courses but are not world class like PB & Spanish Bay. Of course they are much cheaper too.

Mentioned in this post
Monarch Beach Resort
Monarch Beach Resort
2,695 Reviews
Dana Point, CA
Cypress Inn
Cypress Inn
1,298 Reviews
Carmel, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Arroyo Grande
Arroyo Grande
Paso Robles
Paso Robles
Avila Beach
Avila Beach
9. Re: Pacific Coastal Highway 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 05:17