We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

Brightwaters, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

Thinking about flying out to San Francisco (live in NYC) and renting a mid size Winnebago and traveling down to San Diego, then flying home. Traveling with my wife and two daughters (9,12), we would spend 2/3 nights in the Winnebago and the balance at Hotels/Inns. I would plan to hit Pebble Beach/Spanish Bay for 1 round of golf. Remainder of the trip site seeing and having fun. Could spend about a week to 10 days. I have never traveled in this fashion before (Winnebago) but thought it could be fun.

Has anyone out there done this or are there any suggestions about how to get the ball rolling on this. Thank you for any advice.

Rich

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

Hi Rich, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

When do you plan to travel?

I'm curious why you'd rent an expensive lumbering RV for this trip instead of a car. It doesn't sound like you're really going to take advantage of its amenities. If you want to camp along the coast and you have time to seek out RV parks, this can be a great option. But if you only want to sleep in it 2 or 3 nights, why rent it?

Here is some RV info:

Types of RVs tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c151379

Where to stay tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c151535

If you'd like to try a specialty lodging for the trip down the coast, how about a yurt, Kamping Kabin, or treehouse?

The towns along Hwy 1 are described in articles linked to the Top Questions about California in the upper right.

Brightwaters, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

Thanks for the advice and quick response. I thought the Winnebago would give us some added flexibility and I myself have always wanted to check one out. Maybe your suggestion about the RV parks is the way to go. I thought that the hotel stay might break up the "roughing it" factor some and bring in some more comfort.

Thanks again as I now start my investigation.

Rich

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

A few things to consider about RV camping:

- camping along the California coast is very popular, so you need reservations. Private RV parks will probably have more availability than state or community parks, but will be more expensive.

- you need to spend time settling in and setting off each day.

- finding appropriate RV accommodations in cities is more challenging and often not in a location that works well. Perhaps drop the RV in L.A. and begin using hotels at that point.

- "Winnebago" is a brand. When you query the RV rental companies, let them know if you insist on this brand or if you are open to other options.

Happy Planning!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

Hi and welcome to the forums.

"Winnebago" as a general term is an old, old term that is no longer in use, unless you are specifically asking about the brand Winnebego. Winnebego Industries is the largest manufacturer of RVs in the USA and they make a large variety of models.

The modern, correct term would be "motorhome", or more simply "RV" :-)

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

Highway 1 (actually a California state highway) is gorgeous, but many stretches of it are narrow and/or winding. People do it in RVs all the time, but it can be a tough drive for them. Be prepared for that--also be prepared to pull into turnouts to let traffic behind you pass. In California, you legally have to pull out if there's a line of 5 or more vehicles behind you.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

Hi! We just did this, except we rented a VW Westfalia- and it was awesome.

http://vagabond3.com/vw_california_road_trip/

(we outlined it on our blog, with pictures and videos)

There is so much to see along the coast, especially between Carmel and Santa Barbara. I would say those are the nights you would want to camp- like in Big Sur, Morro Bay maybe. If you bring kids, you should also stop at the Elephant Seal Rookery- Free- and tons of seals laying out on the beach and playing in the water. It is right off the coast.

vagabond3.com/elephant-seal-rookery-californ…

Also- wine country is all along there in Ojai and stops in Santa Barbara. I'd also drop the car off in LA- only because traffic from LA to San Diego can be a nightmare and I don't know if you'd want to do it in a huge van. There is nice camping though, in North County San Diego- as well as great surf breaks, good golfing and great food. Have fun!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

Glad you enjoyed your trip, but of course, a VW Westphalia is not a real motorhome. It is a no-frills campervan without shower or toilet onboard ;-) And I doubt there are four beds . . .

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

as mentioned above, the campgrounds along that route will book up fast. not sure when the state campground reservation system opens but you need to be on there RIGHT when it opens to get some spots. stocking a motor home for only 2-3 nights seems like a lot of work. i'd use the whole time. if there aren't fire bans on, campfires at night are a great family time.

i hope you are a confident driver because otherwise you are going to be nervous with a big vehicle, on the winding roads and having to pull over to let cars pass. it's so beautiful, you want to be relaxed enough to be able to look arouund.

have you checked into the drop off fees if you are not returning it to the same loccation - can be very pricey if you don't find the right company.

Brightwaters, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

Rich

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,663 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling US 1 in a Winebago

A note about choosing camgrounds - a lot of our state park campgrounds don't have full hookups or hookups at all. Some private campgrounds do since they tend to cater to RVs specifically, but you should check. Without hookups, you'll have to use the on-board water and sewage and the battery to run pumps and lights. So when you choose campgrounds, if they don't have hookups, be sure to choose a campground with showers and bathroom facilities if that is important to you in order to minimize the water use in the rig. Some campgrounds can be quite rustic.