We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metrolink questions

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,393 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Topic
Metrolink questions

I'll be visiting my elderly mother in Feb, and was thinking that we might take a train ride just for fun.

We'd be starting in Corona, and this would be on a weekend so we don't have to worry about commuters ... plus it's cheaper ;-)

Anybody have an idea of a sort of "round trip" that would take a few hours?

Do any of the stations have restaurants nearby (*very* close walking distance)?

Are the trains comfortable enough for an elderly person for a few hours?

Do the trains that go to Orange County have any ocean views?

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metrolink questions

The trains are very comfortable, no issue there.

On the weekends, Metrolink service is very much reduced. There is one train a day each way (literally) from Corona to Orange County. You'd have to be ready to stay all day. The train gets to the ocean at San Clemente, where you can see some good views.

You could drive up to the Rancho Cucamonga station and take a San Bernardino line train in to Union Station in Los Angeles (that line runs on the weekend). At Union Station, you could cross Alameda St. to Olvera St., definitely touristy, but some of the restaurants have decent reputations. You could also walk up the street to historic Phillipe the Original sandwich shop/diner, though I don't know if that would feel like enough of a destination. There's Traxx restaurant within the station itself, but on weekends it's only open for dinner, which might be a bit late for you guys.

You could also take a short cab ride into Little Tokyo or further into Downtown LA and have numerous eating choices.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,393 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metrolink questions

Thanks for the info, will have to give it more thought. Had no idea there would be only *one* train a day!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metrolink questions

Don't ride on a weekend if you are looking for a nicer ride. I rode Metrolink on a Friday (weekday) and a Saturday (last August) and found Friday to be much more enjoyable and less crowded. Working commuters seem to be for the most part quiet, well behaved, and concerned with laptop use (there are tables for that) or just getting in the mindset for transition between home and work. I found some of the weekend communters in my car to be noisy, rude, sprawled out napping while taking up two seats. That was after I checked out two or three cars and thought they were loud and crowded.. After riding awhile things quieted down (except the two people behind me who chattered on for the entire lengthy ride.)

In addition to the differences in passengers, the trains were nicer on the weekday. The cars had a few seats with tables that had electric outlets underneath. Good for laptops, charging cell phones , having a place to eat, and also just sitting across from someone and having space. The weekend train did not have tables.

There are restrooms on board all trains, similar to planes, and they can be more convenient to use than looking for the station restroom, at least at Union Station.

On weekdays there are more trains but it is probably most convenient to start out on an early one. A drawback to weekdays is it costs more since there is a weekend special.

If you can do a trip from Corona to San Clemente that might be nice. You may have canyon views too.

Edited: 20 December 2011, 08:27
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metrolink questions

If you are looking for any other day trips, by car, downtown Riverside will have the Dickens Festival in early February. This is right in the area of the historic Mission Inn.

Edited: 20 December 2011, 08:36
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,393 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metrolink questions

Thanks very much for all that info, RedlandsRedhead! I initially thought that the weekends would be nicer since the trains would not have busy commuters, but what you say makes sense. Corona to San Clemente is a good idea.

6. Re: Metrolink questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2012, 10:19