We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Springs vs Santa Barbara

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Palm Springs vs Santa Barbara

HI, my husband, son ( 9 mos.) and I are looking for a vacation spot for Febuary or March and cant decide. We were thinking Santa Barbra but not sure if the weather will be nice enough. We would like it warm enought to go swimming and lay by the pool. We also would enjoy some daytime biking or hiking. And also really enjoy good food and wine. Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Mo's Grill
Mo's Grill
317 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,484 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Springs vs Santa Barbara

Palm Springs will likely have more of what you're looking for in this trip. Coastal weather is too hard to predict in the winter/spring months. It could be rainy/cold or sunny/warm, but no way to know until a week or so before your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Springs vs Santa Barbara

I agree. At that time of the year perhaps Palm Springs would be better for you to lie by the pool and for the adults to shop and eat. You could even drive to nearby wineries in Temecula as well as San Diego for the day if your son is a good passenger

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Temecula
Temecula
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Springs vs Santa Barbara

Hello lrose1024, and welcome to the California forum.

For the time of year you are considering, the late Winter to early Spring, Palm Springs makes a lot of sense. The sunshine and reliably warm temperatures is what drew so many early 20th Century film actors and actresses to the place in the first place. . . if it was good enough for them, it will be good enough for you! (smile)

Swimming and laying/lazing by the pool are Palm Springs (PS to locals) pastimes. Pools are generally heated this time of year, and there may be space heaters at poolside as well. . . just in case.

One of the members here on TripAdvisor (TA), dez40, does a lot of hiking in the Palm Springs/Coachella Valley area. Hopefully he will turn up here to give his very informative perspective. He's written a good deal on hiking around the PS area here on TA. If he doesn't happen to respond, when I get some more time I could dig up some of his reviews on hiking in the Coachella Valley and post the links on this thread for you.

As your Underdog, highfalutin' food and wine are out of my budget, so I don't have any words to share. Other members hopefully will post on what you may expect and what are some good places to go. Of course, you may peruse TA's excellent restaurant listings for Palm Springs here: tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g32847-Palm_Spri…

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
The Palm Springs Hotel
The Palm Springs Hotel
412 Reviews
Palm Springs, CA
Coachella Valley
Coachella Valley
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,699 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Springs vs Santa Barbara

That time of year, your odds of warm weather are much greater in the desert near Palm Springs.

Lots to do.Take the tram up the mountain.

www.pstramway.com

The Living Desert is really cool.Try to get in on the morning giraffe feeding.You kid may enjoy seeing that.

www.livingdesert.org

Lots of hiking very close by.The Indian Canyons are nice, with the palm groves and flowing streams.

www.indian-canyons.com

Pics from there.

https:/…MurrayCanyon

More hiking ideas if you look thru the galleries section of that site.

Joshua Tree National Park is very close by.

www.nps.gov/jotr

There are tons of good restaurants.

If you arrive early enough in February, you can ride the Tour de Palm Springs, a fun charity bike ride. If not, there are posted bike routes around PS.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Springs vs Santa Barbara

Thanks everyone. Laying by the pool is not a must just a perk. So if there is more to do in Santa Barbara that would be fine. Any thoughts on if there is more to do in SB? We definetly like exploring the outdoors and vineyards. Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
6. Re: Palm Springs vs Santa Barbara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2013, 10:19